1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dam* Cat!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by yallapilko, Jan 24, 2013.

1. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    I've spent the last 6 weeks bringing up my chicks, and put them into the brand new coop 2 days ago.
    Then today, my cat managed to unlock the catches (still trying to work out how as it seemed pretty secure) break in and eat two of my lovely boys.... obviously, the biggest ones!
    [​IMG] As it was snowing outside, he decided to bring them indoors to finish them off!!! Bllllllaaaahhhhh. **** Cat!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's a shame, especially your own pet. Neighbors' cats and dogs as well as feral dogs have been my worst predators. My dog's too small(pom) but I still don't trust him.
    It's a very disturbing discovery regardless of whether the predator is wild or something humans introduced.

I must warn you that if your cat can do it, a raccoon definitely can so best to redo the latches.
    Another reason for domestic cats to remain housecats.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Maybe something else got to the chicks and then ran / flew away for some reason. Your cat might have just found the dead or dying chick and bought it into the house.

4. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks for replies.
    The hatches are being redone as I write....
    I'm in the UK and thankfully, we don't have Racoons to eat my lovely Quail.
    It think it likely to have been the cat. He's a habit of brining in his prey also, including whole live rabbits through the cat-flap!
    He's been desparate to get at them for a good while.

5. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Coons and Opossums had their way with 40+ of my flock of quail from Bob whites to coturnix. But planning on starting up again. Even the neighborhood cats have found a way to clay at the birds through hardware cloth. Going to try again, but with a bit of experience behind this initiative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by