Damage to comb after coccidiosis and impacted crop? Pics inside

elocinm

Hatching
Sep 23, 2020
Oregon
Background on what has been going on can be found here

This is my girl Alfredo who was the sickest of all six. Again, I’m new at this, so during the watery green diarrhea issue I did not check her crop right away. Eventually I discovered that she had an impacted crop which I treated immediately with Dulcolax and regular crop massages according to the instructions found here. It took about 2.5 days of Dulcolax 2x a day and massaging 3-4x a day and then I started seeing some normal poops.

I was extremely concerned about malnutrition since this had been going on so long without me knowing, so while treating her impacted crop I added Hen Boost to her water to get her some probiotics, and gave her 1ml/cc of Nutri Drench directly from a syringe once per day. Though she hated the Nutri Drench and 2 out of 3 days she would become too fussy for me to give her the whole dose and ended up taking maybe 1/2.

My concern is that her comb has not improved at all since her lowest point, and while I’m seeing a lot more normal poops there are also a lot of wet dropping with the pudding-like texture of cecal poops. Have I done something wrong here aside from letting the crop issue go unnoticed? Her comb is shrunken, limp, pale and dark at the same time??

Here is what her comb looked like before she got sick:
32AE210B-5BD2-46C8-B70F-99C1F6C31056.png

Here is what my poor baby looks like now:
D79E8BB5-8F89-4840-ACED-41EF7D844648.jpeg

0269CD0D-68C9-4087-89BD-085937FEAFCA.png

Her wattles are in much better shape than her comb. It might be hard to tell from the photos but they are much brighter than her comb (though not as bright as the rest of the flock)

Sorry the after photos are not the best. She has her energy back now and will not stay still.

Please be gentle, I really am trying to care for her the best I can here. Ugh, I want to cry seeing how healthy and happy she looks in the before photo. I feel so bad for her.

It will take a while for her to recover completely. She may not regain comb color and start laying again until next spring. Good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom