damaged toenail pointing upward - Remove nail? Leave it alone? Infection risk?

FennecMom

Chirping
Jan 23, 2021
Hello,

1yo Golden Cuckoo Marans has a damaged toenail. Toe is puffy and sore. Nail is still attached at skin/toe, but nail has gone from being twisted sideways (Wednesday) to completely upturned (yesterday).

Thankfully, she has been eating, drinking, roosting, laying and behaving normally since injury, even though she is in pain and protecting the hurt toe.

Main concern:
Preventing possible infection at the tip of toe/base of ripped nail. I've been trying to keep toe clean & also applying Vetericyn 2-3x/day.

Questions:
Anything else I should do? Do I need to remove upturned portion of toenail? (It seems like I could hurt the tip of her toe by doing that?! Nail seems "snug" and still attached when I gently touch it.)

My hunch says to leave the toenail alone so as not to cause additional damage - but I am only 1yr of being a chicken parent, so really not sure I can rely on my own hunch. Thank you for your help!

Background:
Woke up Wednesday to Hen Solo limping significantly. Had a bloodied outer toe on her left food. I stopped the bleeding & applied Vetericyn.

She is limping less now, but still favoring her healthy foot. Spends lots of time with hurt foot tucked up against her body (standing like a short, squatty flamingo :) ). Hubby is concerned that she will tire out her healthy leg from over compensating with it so much.

Thank you for advice and insights. I appreciate it!

Attachments

• sore toe but still acting normal.png
    sore toe but still acting normal.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • left foot w injured outer toe.png
    left foot w injured outer toe.png
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • upturned nail sore toe.jpg
    upturned nail sore toe.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • twisted nail still attached.jpg
    twisted nail still attached.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Chill some water to nearly freezing and spray on the toe. Then take pliers and yank the nail. It may bleed a bit. You can use direct pressure to stop it or flour or sugar. Spray with Vetericyn. Very little risk of infection. Chickens lose nails all the time, and it's rare to see a chicken over five with all their toe nails still intact.

Thank you @azygous - I didn't realize chickens lose their nails regularly.

I checked on her at bedtime, and the twisted nail is now gone. Must have fallen off when she was free ranging this afternoon. Whew!

But I will keep your chilled water & pliers advice for the future. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom