Dandelions

Hayduke27

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Gunnison, CO
My chickens are absolutely nuts for dandelions. Each day I go around and pick a bunch to throw in the run, and they devour them ravenously! I have tried feeding them grapes, and they don't even pay any attention to them. However, one dandelion on the ground will get devoured like a cow in a piranha tank. It's amazing.

Does anyone else have chickens with a serious taste for weeds?
D.gif

Mine absolutely love dandelion leaves. They start going crazy when they see me walk around and pick them because they know who is going to receive them!

Mine love dandelions, also and green salad leaves, but mine definitely turn into chicken demons when they see I have red grapes lol!

Haha, chicken demons! I know that evil glimmer they get in their eyes. When they see me coming with the mealworm cup, all alliances are off. It's every chicken and their screaming tummies for themselves!

Haha, chicken demons!  I know that evil glimmer they get in their eyes.  When they see me coming with the mealworm cup, all alliances are off.  It's every chicken and their screaming tummies for themselves!

I have only had mine a week, didn't take long for the glimmer to appear when they got their first taste of treats lol! Have to admit though it makes me smile....until last week they had never even seen sky in their 18months of life, never mind a big fat juicy grape:)

I have only had mine a week, didn't take long for the glimmer to appear when they got their first taste of treats lol! Have to admit though it makes me smile....until last week they had never even seen sky in their 18months of life, never mind a big fat juicy grape:)

18 months old and never been outside?? How does that happen?

18 months old and never been outside?? How does that happen?

They were commercial layers, been inside all their lives laying for supermarkets:-( they are now loving the outdoors and are full of energy. Their combs were pale and they were dejected when I got them the first day, but already their combs are red and they are happily scratching around and chasing any flying insect that they see hahaha. They were fascinated by the sky to start with! They were Rescues

Last edited:
They were commercial layers, been inside all their lives laying for supermarkets:-( they are now loving the outdoors and are full of energy. Their combs were pale and they were dejected when I got them the first day, but already their combs are red and they are happily scratching around and chasing any flying insect that they see hahaha. They were fascinated by the sky to start with! They were Rescues

Wow. That's fantastic. I'm sure they love you for that :)

Back
Top Bottom