Dandelions

I though I was the only one who found a good use for weeds. I remember as a child we would pick the greens for my mom who would prepare them much like mustard greens. I didn't like them but I figured my chickens would. They love them. I have 3 acres of dandelion weeds....and a great weed popper. They love this treat almost as much as the grubs I throw in when I come accross them...they love to come with me and help me garden...

I've found that lately my chooks really love finding the dandelions with the dead, fluffy heads, and they love to pick all the seeds off and eat them. They eat it fluff and all!

Here's a video I took last year of my chicks eating dandelion fluff.

0.jpg

mine love watermelon but the first day igive them the end the next day i use thebowl as a feeder for their ff and use it till they get it down to the skin they also have eaten mealworns from three days old iferment their feed with wheat barly corn oats and black sunflower seeeds they inhale the sunflower seeds first they also inhale the left over sprouted wheat barley that i feed horses they love most bugs but will run over you to get a miller moth have watched them play tug of war with a smal snake till it pulled apart then they played keep a way till the got tierd and finaly ate it when free ranging they ge t anoyed at the baby rabbits for eating their grass and will gang up on them and chace them around the yard fun to watch if i could get them to eat rabbits i would not have to feed them for a long time way to manny rabbits

I've found that lately my chooks really love finding the dandelions with the dead, fluffy heads, and they love to pick all the seeds off and eat them.  They eat it fluff and all!

For those of you feeding dandelion seed heads, I was wondering do the seeds make it through the chicken unharmed? Like could they then sprout, esp since they would be packaged in such a great fertilizer bomb?!? TIA, Carrie

Back
Top Bottom