DANDER with Indoor Quail keeping!!

Thanks Sill, I'm thinking of doing away with the deep litter bedding too. Just convert the cages to wire bottom. I personally wanted to give them the bedding vs the wire for foot care. :( sigh... but I am thinking that may be a route I have to take.

Good idea on the two sets of greenery... I may just have to do that! ;)

They are in the only spot available to them, which is along our wall between our entry way and our kitchen. Kitchens off to the right, so technically no, but pretty dang close.

I believe from my research I've seen 1" x ½" is appropriate. And that the ½x½ their poo gets stuck on.

Well I'm no expert, maybe someone else can pipe in here and verify. But that's what I've been seeing. ;)

Jazzy, I love your setup. Very inventive and creative.

My daughter has asthma. I totally understand your dilemma. We found ourselves with one "pet quail" after she was the only hatchling of a dozen eggs. We tried to release her but she cried and ran back to us 3x. I spent loads of time researching this issue since Omelette decided she was definitely staying.

I have Omelette on pine shavings in a very large sterilite clear plastic container. I have cut vents in the sides and top and glued on screen (hot glue gun.) Perhaps you could surround the bottom and front portion with some plexiglass or other clear plastic sheeting? Of course the front would only have to be a few inches tall. Or perhaps you could find a clear container that fits inside each shelf? They clean easily. In fact, it would make cleaning easier and less dusty if you could just remove the entire container and clean it outside. When that isn't an option you can put the container in a plastic garbage bag and dump it over while sealed. Also, I clean with white vinegar & water with a drop of dish detergent. Works very well & no chemicals to bother the lungs.

Also, I don't use Chinchilla volcanic ash for dust bath. It irritated my daughter's asthma. I bought play sand to mix with old coffee grounds. And I can't keep it in her container but instead offer it when my daughter isn't around in a container fully enclosed with air holes drilled.

Please keep me posted and let me know what works. Good luck to you and I hope you find a good solution.
I have pics up on Instagram: instagram.com/mylilzoo. There are a few of us with "pet quail" #petquail so you may find some good ideas there.

Thanks!! I will be sure to keep you posted. For now we are considering getting rid of the shavings all together. He is allergic to other woods do the pine may be attributing. Maybe.

I'll let you all know what we do!!! We are out of town currently so I can't make any changes until we get back! But I love all the situations!!

Back
Top Bottom