Dang! Hatched 18 chicks and can't tell which breed

chickengrl

Songster
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Northern Virginia
So, I hatched 18 chicks who are some of Blue Maran's from Peachick, my own Blue/black cooper Marans and a couple blue eggs which were either my Easter Egger or my black Ameraucana and my Blue Copper Marans rooster. They are different colors but I can't tell who is who. I have some very light silver looking chicks that might be the blue marans. They have feathered legs. The others are dark, some feathered legs. Anyway, does anyone have a good way to keep chicks identified? I have no clue what chick came from what egg. Thanks!
hu.gif

I've been concerned about that myself, since I have two different lines of FBC Marans in the bator right now. I've got the bator in the master bath so I was going to run the shower and take the babies out when they hatch and mark them with leg tags. Which I haven't bought yet..but I've got 17 long, looooooooooooooooong days to go.

Now that they've hatched and mixed you may have to wait for them to feather out before you know. Or put up pics and see if someone can help you.

I put the ones I need to keep tabs of inside some baskets to hatch... not sure how this will work, but I can let you know. I plan to leave them in the mesh baskets until after the hatch, then take them out when they are dry and put leg bands on them.
hu.gif

Oh, lordy, have I been there! I don't really have any wise advice, because it doesn't quite matter to me what they are - I just wanted some when I ordered the eggs.

But I didn't want you to feel like the Lone Ranger with that problem.

Back
Top Bottom