Dang it!! We thought he was gone.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JanetS, Aug 9, 2013.

1. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Bobcat! That's our chicken coop in the background. We haven't seen him/her in months. We thought maybe it had moved on.

2. Bobcats sure are sneaky. I like seeing them in the wild but not around the property. They are expert chicken killers. Around here they are VERY plentiful in the woods.
    Keep the chooks safe.

3. junecleavage

junecleavage Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    south carolina
    Can you kill bobcats or is there a season or something? I tried to buy a stuffed bobcat the other day at a pawn shop. It was one of the worst taxidermy jobs I have ever seen. It was horrible!!! The guy wouldn't sell it though. Maybe you could send me yours [​IMG] Shipping might be an issue, though. Do you think the mail would prefer a live bobcat or a dead bobcat? [​IMG]

4. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    There are seasons in most states, I would imagine, or at least some sort of regulation as to when and how many you can kill. The powers that be would just swell up and die if they weren't regulating something to death! That said, if I see a bobcat, I shoot it, regardless of season. They are a predator, and my chickens are prey, and I protect my chickens from all threats, foreign and domestic.....

5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Each state has different laws about bobcats. In CT, they are protected and you can't hunt or trap them. So I called DNR when I had one visiting daily, and the game warden told me if I live on agricultural land, I can shoot or trap any predator that is threatening my family or animals. So check, you may have options.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by