dang snake!

Imagine how I felt when I was shining the light in the back bottom part of my Bator, and there was a snake in there!!! I was expecting chicks, NOT a snake. It had already eaten three quail eggs, one chick and was trying to eat another one. I grabbed the snake and pulled the chick out of it's mouth! The chick started breathing ! The snake had it by the head. Poor baby! So it was a big speckled king snake. It must have been a squeeze for it to fit in the Bator, the holes in the back are not very big. I put the snake in a feed bag and tied it shut. A bit later I was getting ready to go to town, I go to get the snake to relocate it, and it has found a hole in the bag and trying to get out, but too fat. So i put it in another bag as well, tie it up. I let the snake go near the wildlife park where it can eat its normal prey instead of my chicks. I am not scared of snakes unless they are poisonous. I think they do a good job on the rodent population. Just stay the heck away from my chicks!
jumpy.gif

being a snake owner and breeder of Corn snakes, i feel bad but i Completely understand! i try to tell myself A life,is a life,is a life, just as if it was a Raccoon,fox,rat,snake, whatever i would step in and Protect what is mine by whatever means. However i can tell you that's is a HUGE meal for any corn snake and that snake is way to small, the reason why it was there.was because it was in pain and couldn't move...Kinda like when you say "Oh my god i cant believe a ate the whole thing" at dinner....Well this snake ate way to big of meal and Laid there waiting for the food to decompose in its Body so he could leave. Snakes can get in to very Tiny Gaps and the snake looks very skinny, he probably just had to try in getting some food Sorry it had to be your Birds. chances are there will be more around. snakes can Easily smell them out. if it becomes to much i would Put up smaller wire around. they are great at getting in to things cages,Houses,pens, Normally wild corn snakes are very Calm around people and Often don't bite.
big_smile.png
Snake side of me is coming out....lol just don't fear them they are just doing what they do...Hope you dont get anymore break ins! good luck

Quote:
We might have to become buddies lol. I had Mexican rosies when i was a teenager and tried to breed them as the 2 i had were a breeding pair(if i even tried to separate them they let me know they didn't like it). But corn snakes were the first reptile i fell in love with. I wish i was in a spot where i could own a reptile any reptile. But alas it is not to be right now. My sons Bearded dragon just gave up on us about 2 weeks ago and we had to put her to sleep but she was 8 years old and had had a very full life with us so at least i know she was well cared for. But I defiantly agree with you that poor snake had way to much to eat in one bite and if he would have lived he would have been back knowing where an easy food source was.

For every predator there's someone around that loves them
sickbyc.gif

Any snake over a certain size dies around here too, and I haven't even seen any poisonous ones. But if they're big enough to swallow a chick or an egg, they're history if I catch them.

Quote:
My sentiments exactly! They have to realize that if they come into my territory, just as if they slithered into a hawks territory, there is a possibility that they are not going to make it out of my territory. There are plenty of other spaces they can occupy other than mine!

Last edited:
MAN... Y'ALL STILL CARRYIN' ON OVER THAT LIL TAN AND ORANGE SPOTTED NIGHTCRAWLER HE KILLED? THATS NOT A SNAKE....

THIS WAS A SNAKE!
smile.png

003-2.jpg

9FT 2 IN LINEATED GREEN RAT SNAKE... PICTURE TAKEN POST MORTEM
smile.png

Yeah I Was Impressed When I Started To Pick It Up After It Got A Lead Bolus.... Started Pulling Snake Up And Didnt Think It Would Ever End...

Quote:
YUCK! Yeah, now thats a snake!

I noticed there is a gap around the door that he could have got in through. I closed that gap, and another potential place, so hopefully I will not get any more visitors!!

btw, does my little nightcrawler story gain fortitude given I am a she?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom