Danish Brown Leghorn (thought it was a pullet)

chickensuit

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
BC, Canada
So as part of our original flock, we had two Danish Brown Leghorns. I think they are 11 or 12 weeks old now. As they matured, they looked very different from each other: one got long pointy tail feathers that curved up and back down, his comb got much redder and larger than the others, thick shanks, and sure enough he started crowing. He has since been gifted to a friend. The other one had rounded tail feathers, a paler comb and wasn't as colourful. Today I saw 'her' trying to crow after my Ameraucana rooster crowed. I know some hens try to crow (and 'she' really wasn't doing a good job of crowing) but I started looking closer and she is getting more colourful too. I really hope she is a hen because I wanted to have a few Danish Brown Leghorns and I'm down to one that I hope is a pullet! Please let me know what you think. I tried to get a few angles of 'her' today.

I would love to keep him, he's so much better behaved than the other one was! We have a Dark Brahma Rooster that is very docile and pleasant and would like to keep him. After giving away the other rooster we have 13 chickens left and 3 are roosters. The Ameraucana we are giving away and we have a very nice docile Dark Brahma rooster that we would like to keep. This Leghorn is also very nice but a little more flighty. Everything I've read says 10:1 hen to rooster ratio. If we keep one we'll be at 9:1 and if kept both it would be 4:1 and I understand the Hens would not be comfortable.

I would love to keep him, he's so much better behaved than the other one was! We have a Dark Brahma Rooster that is very docile and pleasant and would like to keep him. After giving away the other rooster we have 13 chickens left and 3 are roosters. The Ameraucana we are giving away and we have a very nice docile Dark Brahma rooster that we would like to keep. This Leghorn is also very nice but a little more flighty. Everything I've read says 10:1 hen to rooster ratio. If we keep one we'll be at 9:1 and if kept both it would be 4:1 and I understand the Hens would not be comfortable.

If you separated each rooster ( each rooster gets 4 hens ) into their own pen it should be fine.
People have trios and pairs of birds and they go alright. You could always just get a few more hens
wink.png
.....you can never have to many chickens.
You might just have to give the hens a break every few months, especially in Spring when the roosters and more intense.

I'll look into it. I'm not sure if the local farm shop will be getting more chicks in, but if they do I'll check it out. We already have two different ages of chickens which has been hard, because I have to keep them separate. They are very close in size and have been together without problems so if I can successfully get them integrated soon I can potentially look into getting some more chicks. Maybe I'll end up with a Danish Brown Leghorn hen this time! lol

I'll look into it. I'm not sure if the local farm shop will be getting more chicks in, but if they do I'll check it out. We already have two different ages of chickens which has been hard, because I have to keep them separate. They are very close in size and have been together without problems so if I can successfully get them integrated soon I can potentially look into getting some more chicks. Maybe I'll end up with a Danish Brown Leghorn hen this time! lol

Sounds like a plan.

I love talking people into more chickens
big_smile.png

Found some Danish Brown Leghorn hatching eggs breeder says show quality I read somewhere that Danish brown are production and have too many color faults to show any advice

Back
Top Bottom