d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Greetings all! I do belive D'Anvers to be some of the most attractive chickens there is! Stopped by to see about gender determination on chicks. I have three chicks now and twelve more incubating. Seems it is as tough as other breeds LOL Heres a pic of some of the flock. They are not happy as they were penned awaiting transfer to the new coop. They are good layers, happy about that. Any tricks of the trade for gender determination?

Last edited:
Greetings all! I do belive D'Anvers to be some of the most attractive chickens there is! Stopped by to see about gender determination on chicks. I have three chicks now and twelve more incubating. Seems it is as tough as other breeds LOL Heres a pic of some of the flock. They are not happy as they were penned awaiting transfer to the new coop. They are good layers, happy about that. Any tricks of the trade for gender determination?
Welcome to the thread! I see at two roosters in there with big old honking combs! But you were surely talking about chicks, right? No question on the ones you posted. And I think I see a D'Uccle hen-single comb. If she doesn't have feathered feet, she may be a cross of the two breeds.

I'm not breeding that much and b/c of egg stealing I often don't know who was the real mum, but my first in rank rooster Schnute, has real big wattles for a d'anvers (and a x-beak), coming from a hen with no and a rooster with small wattles, his two sons (with dif. hens without wattles) how ever show only small wattles and not one of his chicks has a x-beak.

Everyone told me that his chicks would have x-beaks and big wattles, but the only thing all his chicks show is the big comb.

This is Schnute (Snoot)

His daughter Piep...quite a comb for a hen.

Oh my gosh, Piep is adorable! Black animals will always be my favourite, I think. That's good to know about Schnute's wattles not passing on, at least to his direct offspring. For my upcoming clutch I don't need to worry about 3rd generation because the chick(s) I produce won't be bred.

But often we have "narrowed choices" when we have an otherwise-good bird.

That's kind of my situation. I've looked for breeders I could buy from, but as far as I can tell the only way for me to get d'Anvers here is through a hatchery-type place that brings chicks from Ideal and McMurray up into Canada. I love my chickens, but I know they're not exactly the best stock.
I have two possible picks from the three males I got, but as they age Mr. Big Wattles just keeps looking better compared to the others. I've been weighing his faults against my hens' and my hope is that their nice, tiny wattles and combs will balance with his large ones. Zeste especially barely has any comb at all. His face has so much more substance than the other two, and his beak is neither long nor stumpy. The other cockerels are almost lanky looking, with long thin faces. He's going through a bit of an ugly phase as he moults into his second set of feathers. This is kind of the best body photo I could get as he just won't sit still anymore. It doesn't really do him justice. His neck usually looks even fuller than this.

I think his wattles are looking less noticeable every day, so maybe I'll get lucky and it will just be a case of his wattles outgrowing him and his body needing time to catch up.

Hey, JJ! @Backwoods Bntms ! Boggy Bottom Bantams! Or anyone else with this issue. Ever had one of your D'Anver hens act weird during broody period? Carly is acting very odd. About Day 8, I noticed her acting almost dizzy, her head shaking back and forth and it only lasted a moment. It was exactly like my very first ever broody who wasn't eating or drinking even though we took her off the nest daily and saw her at least pretend to be doing it. That one was doing the head thing at 3 weeks in, though (no eggs, no rooster at the time), so WesinTx on the old BYC told me to get her in a cage and squeeze a vitamin E gel into her mouth and start syringing water. She recovered and snapped out of her broody spell finally in a day or two. This was a LF Orp hen.

Carly has been eating and I made sure she was drinking. When she did the head thing a couple of days ago, I even started giving her extra food like scrambled eggs with vitamins in it. She was broody about 3-4 days before I gave her eggs and today is Day 10 so not one of those protracted broody spells at all. And she is very experienced with hatching chicks and taking care of herself during the incubation.

Today, I got her off for the second time-the first time, she got scrambled eggs, watered down a bit so she had extra moisture. She ran out and jumped on the outside roost bar and her head suddenly began going back and forth, tremors, I guess you'd call it, and she fell off the roost and for a few seconds, could not get back up. DH and I rushed to get Polyvisol, plus an extra vitamin E capsule and several syringes of water into her but I have no idea what's going on here. She's 4 years old and it is very warm but not that bad, about 80* or so and the nights are fairly cool, being in the mountains as we are. I've had a bad run of luck lately, lost four birds in the last week or so to different issues, and this just takes the cake.
sad.png
I adore those original hens I got from Aubrey and Carly is head hen in there.

Could she be having a health issue and not really broody?

Or if broody and the added heat making it worse on her. I'm pulling things out of a hat...

Back
Top Bottom