d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

I'm really wanting to go with all clean legs. I may move Rusty out and use Gus only and see what I get there. I have enough hens to give each boy two if I had the room to separate them. I don't think I can talk Ran into building more coops right now though.

Cyn your name sake stayed out all night. Little vixon worried me to death.

I'm really wanting to go with all clean legs. I may move Rusty out and use Gus only and see what I get there. I have enough hens to give each boy two if I had the room to separate them. I don't think I can talk Ran into building more coops right now though.

Cyn your name sake stayed out all night. Little vixon worried me to death.

No problem, Karen, making sure you have what you need if I have it.

That bad girl! Tell her even I never stayed out all night. She'd better straighten up and fly right!

Hi all, 

I was wondering if you had any tips on hatching d'anvers. Last month I had six eggs in the incubator; 2 hatched (with help) and had one dead in the shell. And, of one of those chicks, I had to cull because it's legs were just so bad. :( Now, I'm day 22 of my second batch - only four eggs this time around as two got cracked in the mail. The first chick whizzed around and unzipped itself really quickly - a beautiful lavender/cream. The other three eggs - absolutely nothing, even though I know they're fertile. 

I'm hatching polish bantams at the same time, and they're almost all out. I was just wondering whether d'anvers were known for being a little more fragile when it comes to hatching? It is still only day 22, so still more time, but there's no sign of pips at all, and everything else in the incubator has signs of movement. 

Geoff

One little thing summed up the problem , threw the mail. Danver normally fly out. They are very strong. Internal damage you cant see often happens in shipping. Some will never start, some will start and stop due to minor damage. Once you get your own going, youll see a marked difference

Thanks for this. I candled the shipped eggs and had to chuck out two because of air bubbles. Set them for 24 hours, and then didn't turn for five days. At Day 12 we had four fertile eggs. In the end, one hatched, two had stopped day 13/14 or so and one was dead in the shell. 

Still, the one little lavender/cream I have is gorgeous. I've got a black d'anver I hatched out last month, so at least there's a duo....for now. ;)

No no.no!!! Set them and turn them daily a min of 3 times.... Cant go 5 days with no turning... If anything the 1st day is om not to turn them , but i always do anyway.
The last 2-3 days is the only no turning time.
The rest of the time, they have to be turned several times a day

Who on earth told you not to turn eggs for days? They must be turned every day several times a day, as Aubrey said. Even a broody hen turns her eggs. If not the embryo will stick to the side of the shell and die.

I don't even toss them with air bubbles. I incubate every egg that isn't broken. You'd be amazed at air cells that appear detached but somehow stabilize and you get a chick.

Last edited:
I was told both by the shipper, and by some folks over on the hatching forum here, that you shouldn't turn shipped eggs for about five days because it allows the air-sac to reattach itself. So that's what I did!

Oh well, it's all a learning curve. As Boggy Bottom said - the d'anver I got totally flew out of its shell! I'm hoping against all hopes that I have a hen and a rooster now so I can get some eggs of my own and the marked difference. I've only found limited d'anver breeders here in the UK and they're all a long way away.

I shall keep on trying as I love these little birds!

I was told both by the shipper, and by some folks over on the hatching forum here, that you shouldn't turn shipped eggs for about five days because it allows the air-sac to reattach itself. So that's what I did!

Oh well, it's all a learning curve. As Boggy Bottom said - the d'anver I got totally flew out of its shell! I'm hoping against all hopes that I have a hen and a rooster now so I can get some eggs of my own and the marked difference. I've only found limited d'anver breeders here in the UK and they're all a long way away.

I shall keep on trying as I love these little birds!
I just never heard anyone say that before. Well, it certainly is a learning curve (and they were wrong about the 5 days, of course). I remember when Aubrey sent me my D'Anver eggs, shipped from south Georgia to my home in extreme north Georgia. One egg was cracked and he told me he knew but it was so minor and he marked it and I waxed the crack, which does sometimes work. We both wanted me to have as much chance as I could. Out of those, I think it was, 13 eggs, I got 7 gorgeous birds, 3 porcelains and 4 mille fleurs. I still have one porcelain rooster and all three mille fleur hens, who are now over 4 years old. If they're packed perfectly, as he does (and I know because I sent out hundreds of boxes of eggs myself before I quit doing it entirely, with only one egg ever cracked from shipping), and the P.O. doesn't play football with them, you have a decent chance of getting a handful of birds.

Once I had a boatload of detached air cells in a box of eggs shipped from Florida to me. I set them all and most every one stabilized and hatched, to my surprise. I put them in the turner from the beginning.
smile.png

i have 4 2 1/2wk old chicks...d'anvers, looks like black, buff columbian, silver quail and brown quail... i think...the black has a narrow comb area and it is all black, and the brown quail shows not really any comb but the other two show a red tint already...does that mean they are boys...is there still hope they are girls??? the mellowest one is the brown quail and the the rest are pretty flight still....i try to hold them twice a day...just wanting input on that red comb issue...well pink comb so far!

My girls have decided to co-parent lol. It's adorable, and it's great because they've started taking shifts so the eggs are never without a warm hen sitting on them.

It was a bit early, but I candled yesterday and got confirmed veins in one egg and possible veining in another. Send black pullet vibes my way, please.

One of the cockerels is getting a bit big for his britches. While we were installing the nesting box I had the ex-pen set up for my dog Suki, Zeste on a harness/leash tied to the pen to keep her safe, and the cockerels just running loose because they're pretty glued to the coop. Zeste and Suki were laying next to each other through the fence, and Mr. Macho marched right up and started wing dragging at Suki to try and drive her away from Zeste.

Back
Top Bottom