Dare I hope, I may have a Chocolate!

keeperofthehearth

Songster
12 Years
Nov 3, 2007
podunk... I mean Wabash, IN
Time will tell.
fl.gif
I have 5, 2wk old Scovie ducklings that have color tipped tails. Two will be blues and one is definitly black but one (possibly 2) seriously looks chocolate. The drake is black and the duck is blue w/white head. I went and took a closer look at Gwen after looking at the ducklings tail(3 or 4 times) and now am thinking she may have some chocolate genes. Some of the feathering on her chest below the white of her neck has a chocolate cast to it. It blends in well with the dark blue/grey so you don't notice it until she stands in the light & you look for it(maybe I'm just seeing things) I am trying not to get toooo excited since they are so young. Now I will probably be following them around every chance I get looking at those tail feathers.
lau.gif
Gwen will not be pleased!
gig.gif

Are the black drake and the blue hen with white head definitely the parents?

Yes, we only have one drake and Gwen set her own nest. All the other ducks were already brooding on their own nests as she kept laying. They were def. all her own. The duckling tail tips are definitly not black nor blue so it will be interesting to see exactly what color they are.​

Last edited:
Well, I'm no genetics expert. But there are possibilities there that would allow for chocolate offspring.

Your black drake could be carrying chocolate. In which case he could throw chocolate offspring that were female.

Or the hen could actually be a blue fawn instead of a blue. I don't know how likely that is, since I've never even seen one in real life, but in pictures, the body looks bluish, but the head is brownish. The white head on the hen could be masking that. I could be totally stretching the limits of imagination there, though!

Anyway, I do hope that you have a couple of chocolates. They are so lovely!

Be sure to keep us updated once they feather in.

Your black drake could be carrying chocolate. In which case he could throw chocolate offspring that were female.

Or the hen could actually be a blue fawn instead of a blue. I don't know how likely that is, since I've never even seen one in real life, but in pictures, the body looks bluish, but the head is brownish. The white head on the hen could be masking that. I could be totally stretching the limits of imagination there, though!

^Gwens brownish hue below her white neck.
This is what I've been thinking also. The lady I got the adults fm had reds(her word for chocolate) that she didn't want to sell and all the Scovies were mixed into one flock.

I'll wait it out and see. Both blues and chocolates - Nice!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom