Dark blue chicken droppings?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aubrinator, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Aubrinator

Aubrinator Out Of The Brooder

I'm not sure if this is serious, but all 3 of my chickens (2 Ameracaunas, 1cochin mix) have been having dark blue poop for a few months now, since the beginning of summer. None have had any blue foods. It is also slightly runny. I would appreciate it tremendously if someone more advanced in chicken medicine could help me out here. Thanks!

P.S. They have been eating many yellow flowers off our bushes lately.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Are they getting any purple cabbage? That is the only thing I can remember reading that causes blue poop.
    If it's been going on for months, and they are not acting sick, I'd be inclined to not worry.

Imp- hmm

did a little looking around apparently berries esp. mulberries and blueberries can cause it too.

and moldy grains.

And some Kale.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Do they have access to any recently seeded area or bags of grass seeds? I am not aware of any naturally occuring blue pigments they might consume unless for some kind of berry (mulberry, black/raspberry, blueberry, choke cherry) that would be available for an extended period of time.

4. Aubrinator

Aubrinator Out Of The Brooder

They do spend most of their free time under a berry tree,but I don't know what type it is. That's probably it, though. They don't act sick, so I think they're fine. Thanks for the explanations, I have been confused over this for days [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

This guy I work with, helps his brother farm pumpkins. They just got 29 chicks to raise for the farm. I told my coworker to feed his brothers chickens purple cabbage and watch him freak out at the neon blue poop.

Imp- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by