Dark Brahma sexing - five weeks old

JesseX

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2022
I know I know I know, it's too early to sex dark brahma chicks at only five weeks. But we can't help but obsess over it everyday anyway, and watch them constantly for any new feather or behaviour quirk that we can take as a sign. I'm new to raising chicks but here's what I've noticed. Lou walks around standing up tall and curious, which Elma doesn't do. Sometimes I catch them running at each other, jumping and flapping their wings. I've heard this is typical roo behaviour. Lou is a fair bit bigger than Elma, and feathering more quickly on the chest.

IMG_2042.jpg IMG_2083.jpg IMG_2076.jpg IMG_2057.jpg IMG_2074.jpg

This is so interesting. Brooding 5 and I have NOT a clue. Perhaps keeping an eye on this thread will help bar crowing ha ha ha. I think ours are about 13 weeks (got so many starting to forget. Thankfully I wrote births down).

Where did they come from? They look like they could be mixed with light Brahmas because of all the white in the breast feathers. Normally it is very clear early on-- black on the breast means male. So if they are indeed pure dark Brahmas then I think they are males, but it's still a little questionable.

Back
Top Bottom