Dark Brahma Sexing

Burgs

Chirping
May 25, 2015
Canterbury
Here is my 2 and a 1/2 week old Dark Brahma chick! What sex do you guys think it is? It does have speckled feathers and it has pretty much no comb to speak off practically flat!! Lol

Way too young. By about 6 weeks old, a cockerel will have mostly solid black feathers on the chest and white patches on the shoulders. A pullet should have an all over, even pattern.

Your chick is too young to sex at this time, particularly since Brahmas are a slower maturing breed anyway. I would suggest re-posting its pic in a couple months. By then its gender should be pretty obvious.

Oh really??? Everything I've read regarding Dark Brahma chicks suggests that you can tell fairly early on what gender it is likley to be?

Dark Brahmas are easier to sex than lights or buffs because the male and female feathering is so different. Brahmas can be slow to mature, but the feathering will be different early on for Darks. Females have lacing and penciling pattern all over. Males have solid or mostly black chests and white shoulders.

I'm wondering the same with mine. Southern States where I got them from said they should all be pullets but here's what I have!
[/IMG]

My Brahma was a Hen and TBH as soon as the feathers started to grow on the wings and feet and they were speckled I was almost certain it was going to be a Hen

My Brahma was a Hen and TBH as soon as the feathers started to grow on the wings and feet and they were speckled I was almost certain it was going to be a Hen
Makes sense, since males feathera are just white above black, not speckled.

Back
Top Bottom