1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark Brahma Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Burgs, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Burgs

Burgs Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    Here is my 2 and a 1/2 week old Dark Brahma chick! What sex do you guys think it is? It does have speckled feathers and it has pretty much no comb to speak off practically flat!! Lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Way too young. By about 6 weeks old, a cockerel will have mostly solid black feathers on the chest and white patches on the shoulders. A pullet should have an all over, even pattern.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your chick is too young to sex at this time, particularly since Brahmas are a slower maturing breed anyway. I would suggest re-posting its pic in a couple months. By then its gender should be pretty obvious.

4. Burgs

Burgs Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    Oh really??? Everything I've read regarding Dark Brahma chicks suggests that you can tell fairly early on what gender it is likley to be?

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Dark Brahmas are easier to sex than lights or buffs because the male and female feathering is so different. Brahmas can be slow to mature, but the feathering will be different early on for Darks. Females have lacing and penciling pattern all over. Males have solid or mostly black chests and white shoulders.

6. jfmommyof5

jfmommyof5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    I'm wondering the same with mine. Southern States where I got them from said they should all be pullets but here's what I have! [​IMG][/IMG]

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Too young yet. Once the chest start feathering, you should be able to see if the feathers are solid black (male) or penciled (female).

8. jfmommyof5

jfmommyof5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    Ok, thank you! Didn't realize the other brahma pic didn't upload but here is the other one. [​IMG]

9. Burgs

Burgs Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    My Brahma was a Hen and TBH as soon as the feathers started to grow on the wings and feet and they were speckled I was almost certain it was going to be a Hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by