dark brahma sleeping in nest box and pooing/crushing eggs.4yrs old...

da-cajun-angla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
laplace,la
hey yall! long time since ive been here. i have 8 chickens now. but my dark brahma, which is 1 of the 4 i had first purchased, is laying on eggs, pooing and sleeping in the nest box, and isnt laying. i know what i have to do...just wanted to hear from yall to back up my judgement. i thought it was one of the mosquitoe control chickens that were new and never had a nesting box sleeping in their and pooing all over the eggs and box...low and behold, it is "happy feet", my dark brahma:(...she has never done this in the last 3 years or so and i just dont understand why now. it sucks...i know no1 will take her b/c shes not laying and yall know how much dark brahmas eat compared to egg production...and even worse if they r eating all that food and not producing eggs...well u know. i really dont think i can kill her and eat her(even though us cajuns eat everything..lol), but im pretty sure it is the only option.
nice to be back and hello again,
shaun

Id first try taking her out of the nest box each night and putting her on the roost. Give it a week or two and see if she gets the idea. If not, well.... I guess there is always the stew pot, especially if she's not laying enough to be worth letting her ruin the other's eggs.

I have one rooster who insists on sleeping in the nest box, so we move him every night. Two others were doing it, too, but after a week of moving them, they got the idea and now go to the roost.
The one bad boy just refuses. Id cull him, but he is too rare. Im going to try moving the nest box up higher and putting a milk crate in its place for him to sleep in.

Good luck.

Chel

Have you checked her feet for cuts or sores, or injured toes/claws. She might not be roosting properly anymore due to a foot injury.

My ex battery hens didn't know how to roost and they slept in the nest boxes, till I bought 3 new hens who taught them what to do
wink.png

I hang wire mesh (hardwarw cloth) over my nesting boxes at night to keep the hens out. If i forget there is always 1 of the older ladies who capitalizes on my forgetfullness. I think they should get the idea soon?

Back
Top Bottom