dark brown egg layers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amykilpatrick, Jul 23, 2016.

1. amykilpatrick

amykilpatrick New Egg

Jul 23, 2016
    I am in Augusta GA. looking for chick varieties that will lay dark brown eggs

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the BYC flock. You will want to check out the "Marans" breed they are known for chocolate eggs.

3. featherfella

featherfella Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Hi there,

I know that ISA Browns lay dark brown eggs with speckles. I also know that Black Copper Marans lay dark coloured eggs. That's I'll I am aware of.

Hope this helped.

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I find that my red sexlinks lay a pretty dark egg. In fact, they stay dark, while the marans egg gets lighter as they get older, even during the first yr. My experience.
    I've had a lot of my mixed breeds lay pretty dark brown eggs. Also, the Wellsummer, with some speckles sprinkled in. :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Welcome to BYC! Lots of breeds lay eggs in varying shades of brown. A lot of fun is in the looking. My Delawares are always pretty consistent with the brown eggs. Plus I love their personality. Good luck in your search.

8. amykilpatrick

amykilpatrick New Egg

Jul 23, 2016
    wow. thanks Ya'll. appreciate the participation! I have 12 and a broody Frizzle on 3 eggs so I don't need to order a large quantity of chicks! I would like more variety in egg color. I'm looking for that long shot that someone who lives near will have a few chicks that I can aquire! never hurts to ask!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by