Dark brown eggs

Dude, why are you always picking on me?
he.gif

What I mean is...

Every time I bring up my marans, someone always says that you need real marans from a real marans breeder...

barnie.gif

Marans always has an 's' on the end. whether it's singular or plural. It's the name of the town in western France where the breed originated.

This breed was developed in France in the mid 1800's in the town for which it bears its name, Marans. They had made their way to England in the early 1900's and quickly became very popular for their very dark (chocolate) brown eggs - a trait they are still known for today. These beautiful birds were first exhibited in 1929 in Paris by the Poultry Breeders Society of France and since then have gradually made themselves popular in various countries around the world. We carry the CUCKOO variety of Maran which resembles the Barred Rock in color by displaying feathers which are all crossed throughout with irregular dark and light slate colored bars. Maran's lay the darkest eggs of any breed we carry and are a nice dual purpose bird for both eggs and meat.

from murrey mcmurrey site

According to 4 sites that sell them they all list them as cuckoo maran. so I made the mistake of believeing what I saw in black and white

serendipity22- I dont pick on you intentionally, it was just a comment/ question
hugs.gif
sorry​

Another breed people have trouble spelling is Faverolles, named after a village in France, Faverolles. Singular or plural, it is Faverolles. I see Faverolle used often on the internet, also, even though it isn't correct. Unless you happened to read about it, how would the average person have any idea? I do think it's tacky for hatcheries or authors to get it wrong.
lol.png

I'd like to have a few Marans some day, but I just don't care for the cuckoo variety. I've thought about looking for a breeder working on a different variety, but I'm not really motivated enough at this point, as I'm looking at more Dorkings. Chicken breeds are like dogs and you just can't have them all. Although the people on this board sure try!

I found a picture to illustrate what I was saying about my Barred Rock eggs. Here is some I was setting way back when. All are from my friend Kate's Barred Rock flock except the darker one in the middle. That one belongs to my own Barred Rock hen, Lexie. Kate has a daughter of Lexie's as well, who has just begun to lay and she also lays dark eggs. That egg was way before Lexie's molt and sometimes hers are lighter, but you see what I'm saying. Sometimes you can luck out within a certain breed. Since my other Barred Rock from Ideal looks more like a Cuckoo Marans hen, I was thinking they were crossing those two breeds, after seeing Lexie's egg color.
DCP_5237.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Red X Link that happens to lay very dark brown eggs, I dont know if this is a fluke, or the usual, but I just love the color of her eggs, never seen any so dark from the store.
smile.png

9-9-2007-156.jpg

Quote:
So my cuckoo maran is not a real Maran?? What is it then?? I thought it was something like a duck but wasnt sure.

Cuckoo Marans are most definitly a variety of Maran. Full blood tried and true. As for hatchery Marans, I doubt they are of the quality you would get from a breeder. Therew are some renowned breeders in the U.S.
Monty

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom