Dark comb, slow & sickly 7 year old Buff Orp hen

jbkinor

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 15, 2007
Western Oregon
Does anyone know anything I can do for my sickly 7 year old Buff Orpington hen who's been slowing down and acting listless for the past few weeks and now getting worse? The only other symptom is a dark, dark red comb, almost purpleish sometimes. She hasn't layed this spring although she sat on the nest a few times last month (nothing came out). I'm afraid its the dreaded ovarian cancer that most hens seem to die from. Any suggestions? Vitamins? Electrolites (where do I get them?)?
sad.png

Blue comb can be a sign of a respiratory problem. Might want to hit her with Tylan, can't hurt. You can find the dosages on my site HERE, look under medications . Good luck!

Seven years old is a good age to get to. Purple comb is basically a sign she's not getting enough oxygen. I personally would not administer any antibiotics unless she has an injury or infection. Does her air way sound clogged or raspy?

She could be just having heart failure or tumors at that age. I've had younger end up with tumors.

She has always sounded a little raspy when I pick her up. It seems dark comb is always a first sign when theyre going to die soon. Yes, 7 years is a long life. Just wish I could make her feel better. Thank you.

Hi - I can't offer any advice, but I hear the sorrow in your post (if that's possible). I think we humans are so fortunate to be able to help our beloved animals in ways that we can't help our human companions. Hugs to you...and I hope she's just feeling low & gets well soon.
sad.png

That is exactly why you want to do the Tylan, lack of oxygen in the blood can come from a respiratory problem, and sounding raspy is another sign of this. I know of chickens living for up to 14 years, so I would try it if it was me, but it is up to you. Good luck!

How about trying some good old Terramycin? Would that hurt the other hens?

Thank you for the hugs Wynett. This is the part of having pets I don't like, the getting sick/growing old and dieing part. Hannah's been a great chicken.

Hannah seemed better yesterday after a couple doses of terramycin but today is worse again. I guess I just have to let her go. Sigh.

Thank you everyone for your comments and help.

Back
Top Bottom