Dark Cornish questions

Well, it really depends on what your shooting for. If your wanting to process them in about 16 weeks you want to go with the higher protein feed (22%). If your not really worried about it, you can just let them all hang together and when the roosters get to the size your looking at..... usually 22 weeks for Dark Cornish you can just feed a standard chick grower.

Dark Cornish do take a few extra weeks to fill out, similar to a Buff Orpington. But yes, DC or not anywhere near the size of the Cornish x's and will fare just fine with your other dual purpose breeds in the brooder.

Thanks.
smile.png

We're not in a big hurry to have them size up, so maybe we'll keep things simple and just wait a little longer before we send them to the freezer.

Quote:
Come on- you're just arguing for the sake of arguing! You know what I meant because now that I look back to your previous post, you said the same thing I did.

Not arguing, Jaku. I don't like arguing with you. You are one of my favorite meat bird guys. Honestly, I don't know how I slip into these things with you and Brunty, since I agree with about 90% of what you guys say and do.

It is a common misconception on this site that Cornish X are the only "broilers" or "meat birds". Just wanted to briefly clear that up. And no, I didn't know what you meant. I assumed you meant that DC aren't broilers.

'Cause that is what you said.
lol.png

Ok- not that I mind arguing anyway! I was referring to the needs of Dark Cornish being the same as any other standard breed, as opposed to Cornish X's, which would have different food and housing requirements. I think people get confused when they hear "Cornish," then automatically associate that with Cornish X.

You will be fine, they are very easy to take care of. When they get to be about 8 weeks you can let them range outside for most of their food if your have the space.

I have my Dark Cornish in with all the other hens. The roos are in the roo coop. They get along with everyone very well. The hens are much more stand offish. They want to be left alone. They do their own thing and are very happy.

Their legs are finally getting bulkier. How long does it take for them to get to tree trunk size?

Back
Top Bottom