Dark Green - different that my regular algae

Orit

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Hello, I am used to regularly getting algae growth (has always been grass green) in my waterers in the summer and I usually need to give them a good clean 1 - 2X a week. I am no longer getting that light green algae, and instead, there is this very dark green algae-looking material that is growing and spreading quickly. Every day after I do a hard scrub and get it off, it's back the next day. I am even finding it in the water bucket I made that didn't even used to get algae. Any idea what this is, and is there something I can do to eradicate it, or at least minimize it? Thanks in advance!

1/4 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water.
Where did you get this number? And do you mean to clean with and rinse well after or to leave in it for them to drink?

I think it is really high if you mean to leave in the water. I see that much for 50 gallon water tanks. Or up to a max of six drops per gallon.

Where did you get this number? And do you mean to clean with and rinse well after or to leave in it for them to drink?

I think it is really high if you mean to leave in the water. I see that much for 50 gallon water tanks. Or up to a max of six drops per gallon.
They had specified in a prior post that it is for cleaning. Definitely not to leave in to drink.

To the OP, you also may want to flush/clean the hose you are using as well. It may have gotten contaminated with something inside. It’s not a bad practice to completely clean waterers at least once a month, more often if you have issues.

Back
Top Bottom