Solved Dark Mode: Can We Have It?

Would you be interested in BYC having light and dark modes available for users?

• Total voters
It's an option. You and your retinas can enjoy the blazing brightness of Erandil, the elf's most beloved star if you want.
lord of the rings GIF
That post should come with two warnings. 1.Bright flashing lights may induce seizures.
2. Excessive geekiness (totally appreciated, btw) 🤫

Great discussion!

We have a very customized theme / style for BYC. In the past we put in a lot of time / $$ to have a dark-mode created, but then realized that few people were using it... and a lot were just using the dark-mode in their browser settings.

So, we'll keep the suggestion on our list, but it's unlikely since keeping it constantly updated is a pain, especially when relatively few were using it :(
So there's a way to force Google to make it appear in a dark mode on the PC without having the actual website with a dark mode option? I have everything in dark mode including Google but this is what it looks like when I'm on BYC.
image.jpg

I personally do not like dark mode. But I'll vote yes for options. But it sounds like Nifty has karate chopped the idea anyways
200.gif

I voted yes for options.
The internet is plagued with biased pros and cons articles, but, for me, I am most interested in the health effects of dark vs white mode and not so much power conservation.
Linked below is marginally less biased article that explains the functional impact of white and dark mode on the eye. It’s particularly interesting point was regarding astigmatism, a common problem of a misshaped cornea which gradually occurs and goes unnoticed for some time, explaining why many people (myself included) find it harder to read in dark mode. There’s a little bit about effect of blue light on melatonin production but not in any detail, however the impact can easily be deduced.
https://www.androidauthority.com/dark-mode-1046425/

So there's a way to force Google to make it appear in a dark mode on the PC without having the actual website with a dark mode option? I have everything in dark mode including Google but this is what it looks like when I'm on BYC.
image.jpg
Try installing Dark Reader.
https://darkreader.org/

1673455458067.png

I voted yes for options.
The internet is plagued with biased pros and cons articles, but, for me, I am most interested in the health effects of dark vs white mode and not so much power conservation.
Linked below is marginally less biased article that explains the functional impact of white and dark mode on the eye. It’s particularly interesting point was regarding astigmatism, a common problem of a misshaped cornea which gradually occurs and goes unnoticed for some time, explaining why many people (myself included) find it harder to read in dark mode. There’s a little bit about effect of blue light on melatonin production but not in any detail, however the impact can easily be deduced.
https://www.androidauthority.com/dark-mode-1046425/
I have astigmatism..I will have to check that..

Because you're a phone peasant?

I mean I still think a dark mode should be an option to be enabled. There's someone who works here at the university with partial albinism and he has all kinds of software and equipment to allow him to look at and read things on a computer. I'd imagine that dark mode helps websites comply with ADA compliance so that people with visual impairments can read as easily as those who do not.

But in the meantime, this is at least better than this...
The Original Series GIF by Star Trek

every time I pull up BYC.

Because you're a phone peasant?

I mean I still think a dark mode should be an option to be enabled. There's someone who works here at the university with partial albinism and he has all kinds of software and equipment to allow him to look at and read things on a computer. I'd imagine that dark mode helps websites comply with ADA compliance so that people with visual impairments can read as easily as those who do not.

But in the meantime, this is at least better than this...
The Original Series GIF by Star Trek

every time I pull up BYC.
Hey. At least this phone peasant has a blue light filter on their peasant phone.

Back
Top Bottom