Dark ring while candling

PeckingOrder

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Now I've looked at blood rings etc and I don't believe this is one of them.

It's day 12 now, and at the small end of the most porous egg, is a dark ring. It runs around the circumference of the top, and is only about 1cm in diameter.

The air sac at the opposite end is fine, and the chick is still happily dancing in its egg.

Could this be a bacterial infection?

I am not sure, but if the chick is still moving, sounds like time will tell. I'd leave it alone, maybe just a prominent vein in there. After this hatch, sterilize your bator well. Good luck, HneZ

While this egg seems more porous than the other, the embryo also seems further in development than the other egg.

The eggs sit in a brand new food grade container, and I've always washed my hands before candling.

Going to get a decent video later when candling.

Many thanks
smile.png

Here are some videos as promised:

The dark ring:

Very odd movement inside egg- why does there appear to be 2 individual moving blobs @ 0:30 secs!?

Last edited:
Thats a new one on me.....I wouldn't call it a blood ring. Maybe a bacterial spot...but I sure couldn't say for sure. Wish I was more help!

The movement on the second video looks like the head and body of one chick to me. Great videos, btw. Very good pictures of what you are looking at!

Last edited:
I suppose its a good thing that its not a common problem, just wish I knew what it was!

I'm still confused by the two blobs! It looks like a chick with a really long neck!

Back
Top Bottom