Dark spots on BO's comb-what are they? PIX

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Coastal Southern California
I'm super nervous since I lost one of my four girls on Christmas Day. I've noticed some dark spots on the BO's comb that I can't identify. They don't look like scabs - just darkened tissue. Is it frostbite? It has been cold here but it's still Southern California so I didn't think that it was possible for them to get frostbitten.

She is acting completely healthy. My other two, an EE and a Light Brahma, do not have these spots on their combs.

Am I over-reacting?

Here are pix:

Close-up:

26444_img_5061.jpg

It doesn't look so bad from further away:

26444_img_5052.jpg

Full body pix so you can see how plump and healthy she is:

26444_img_5062.jpg

No, it's not frostbite. It looks like a wound of some sort... maybe from your rooster mating with her or from a minor squabble with another hen. Frostbite normally is found on the tips of the comb and turns it dark, but doesn't look like a scab. Does that make sense?

Whew. Thank you so much.

We don't have a rooster. But I have noticed her being more aggressive with my EE since we lost our Delaware. Maybe the others are fighting back...

I love my chickens so much and now that I've lost one I'm in a complete tizzy about something happening to the others.
hit.gif

*cuddles*
I'm sorry about your hen, it always hurts to lose a baby girl like that. But don't worry about the other's, they're probably just a little unsettled about it themselves. I'm sure they'll calm down again soon enough x

Oh, she's a gorgeous hen by the way =]

Last edited:
I see those "spots" frequently on my chickens -- lots of them. Sometimes it seems to be dirt. My chickens are healthy and laying like crazy in sub-freezing temps.
Frost bite completely kills the tissue starting with the tips of the comb. It is doubtful you will ever have to worry about frostbite in that climate.... I lived there and yes, it got cold, but probably not that cold compared to NE Ohio.

BTW your chicken is quite beautiful! Great pics too

Back
Top Bottom