Dark tips on comb, sneezing, head shaking and looking at the sky*Pic*

remuda1

Songster
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Granbury, Texas
I know that all sounds kind of crazy...... But I noticed the dark tips on the comb happening this last week in the mornings. It is more prominent early then tends to dissipate.

Mr. Mash
photo-3.jpg

He also sneezes, not constantly but enough that I noticed it. That, I noticed maybe three weeks ago but with the dry, hot weather the dust has been blowing so I didn't think too much of it. There is no nasal discharge. But combined with the other oddities, I have become concerned. This morning I also noticed a little bit of head shaking and then, walking around randomly looking at the sky! He's a 4 month old Black Copper Marans and is shaping up to be the lead roo. I would hate to lose him so if this is something I need to worry about, I'd like to catch it very early. Notice the dark tips of the comb in the picture above? Otherwise, he is a very happy, healthy bird with a great appetite. You can guess his favorite dish by his name
smile.png
. Oh, and his poops also look normal. I've been putting electrolytes/vitamins in the water since this weather has been just brutal. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Nobody? LOL, I thought maybe the subject line might be too much
smile.png
Anyhow, here's a pic taken a while after the first. All nice and red.
photo-5.jpg

My chickens somtimes show the black tips, i wouldnt worry over that. As for the sky thing my roo does the same, i think they are just checking for hawks haha ;P being a roo.

Edit: Perhaps there is a medical reason for the black crown. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help!

Last edited:
My roo gets that some times at well.. mostly on the back of his comb... I was told that it is excess testosterone... as for looking up to the sky mine does that too... I think he is listening for things to alert the girls about...

Thanks Ladybug
smile.png
, that gives me something else to google with. There is SO little information out there regarding comb discoloration, which surprised the heck outta me since it seems that comb and wattle color is a pretty good barometer of how they are doing. If I manage to find anything else, I'll post it here.

I know this is an older thread but I had noticed my 6 month old cockerels comb looking the same way the last week or so. If it's excess testosterone it would make sense since he's doing his thing with the girls quite frequently. Other than that he looks and acts great. Runs up to me when I go outside hoping I have treats for them. Thank you Ladybug99 for posting that so I could find something that makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom