Darling the Special Needs Duck

I am sorry for your loss here, my friends who are multi generational dairy farmers have a khaki who survived a mink attack, he has a permanently crooked neck and hobble, looks like Quasimodo, but he gets around just fine. The afore mentioned dog pen my wife came home with for our (now 10 year old) yellow lab puppy, I laughed, she could jump it or knock it over in a second. It is the best thing ever. Many puppies have been contained while camping, ducks, chickens, injured cats have been kept in it, way better than a cage and it folds up very compact.
Hang in there , he will heal and will rejoin the rest soon.
Go get you a pen! Maybe 2
Thank you so much for this encouraging story! I do have a few questions. First, is Quasimodo able to preen? That’s been one of our biggest concerns lately. Additionally is he able to be with the rest of his flock or does he need special care?

Thank you for your response! We hadn’t thought about our future ratios much. We have been on a one-day-at-a-time for awhile. Now that the others are returning to normal we will start to consider this! Right now brooding babies might be a bit much for us, as Darling still needs a lot of personal care. As far as mating, our khakis have been going nuts. But our male khaki and female pekin won’t mate. But she keeps trying to flirt with Darling, so I know she’s willing and able. Additionally, she hasn’t started laying yet, but Bear has. Darling is a bit smaller than Honey, he lost a lot of blood and isn’t eating nearly as much as she is. But they are all still relatively young, only 21 weeks. So it’s possible they aren’t full grown yet. I will attach a photo below!
if you could find him other girls (i recommend 3) once he gets a bit better that would work too. it’s just best to let them get used to each other now, because if u introduce them during mating season he will be even more aggressive with his mating.

two drakes in one pen isn’t great, because if they decide to mate with the same girl at the same time they’ll kill her

Thank you to everyone who gave us advice. Unfortunately yesterday, just one day shy of four weeks since the attack, we lost Darling. He suddenly began to suffer from severe neurological issues. We are heartbroken, as is Honey.

Attachments

• A7638478-53B0-4096-83D6-7E36BC9CF2F2.jpeg
    A7638478-53B0-4096-83D6-7E36BC9CF2F2.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom