Darn! Bator went dry!!!

JackieK318

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Missouri
I checked last night on the water level and the tray was completely dry. It has only been 6 days and most of those days here were rainy and humid. I don't want to open the bator a ton. When should I add water?! (Genesis 1588 with turner)

I add water every day where I live, even when it rains. I just use a syringe and plastic tubing so I don't have to open the lid. I haven't got my 1588 yet though, so I don't know how this would work with those.

Hmmm. How much should I add daily? I don't have a hydrometer yet and I don't want to over do it. I'm, so far, pretty bad at this hatching thing...

Last edited:
I have the LG and since the days are fetting warmer here I am having to check on the water every other day - I have the bottom wells full plus a little dish half full I normally add the water when I am turning the eggs so that way the bator is not opened for anything extra - right now my bator gets opened 3 times a day.

Julie

Here is a picture if it helps.

hova.jpg

It is different for everyone depending on where you live. Opening the bator is not that big of a deal. If you want hens, they will get off the nest for up to 5 or 10 minutes a day to eat, drink and go to the bathroom. I have been watching mine closely since she is in the house... The time it take to open in and add water or turn the eggs or what ever else you need to do doesnt hurt the eggs. It usually takes less then 5 minutes for all of mine to get back to temp and the eggs are not bothered at all. I think opening it occasionally is better for them since you are then allowing a little fresh air in. It is only the last 3 days that you really dont want to open it. I have also noticed that my hens usually dont get off the nest for that period of time either. There are some thermometer/ hygrometers at walmart that work well. I have one that was about 6 dollars and one that is about 10 dollars. They both work fine. Good luck, Jenn

Thanks for the pic and info everyone. I'm freaking out as this is my very first hatch. I'll have to rig something up tonight for water. I'm going out of town for a few days, so it'll have to be simple for hubby to even want to bother with it. He doesn't care for my chickens or my chickeny doings.
sad.png

At first my hubby was not into the chickens either they are not "his thing" - until the girls got old enough to start laying and he saw the movement in the egg for the first time - now he checks the temp in the bator - first thing in the morning - when he comes home and before bed LOL and he even called TS yesterday while I was in the shower to see if the baby chicks were there yet
ep.gif
- your hubby will come around to the feathery side LOL

good luck with your hatch - this is my first time also

Julie

Back
Top Bottom