Darn chicken math. Went in 'just for food"....

libbyhan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
came out with a pair of bantams. Straight run, no less. I went into the store with my kids (never a good idea) and they immediately found a one week old white bantam with feathered feet and a slightly crossed beak in the chick bin. The rest is history. They are so tiny and way too cute. I was powerless!
th.gif
My husband said, "well, at least they didn't have silkies!". He is a wise man.

And, we JUST got the other 6 in the coop, too! I literally said this am, "finally! no more chicken dust". And, alas, here we are.

No pics. Husband took the camera camping this weekend.

I really am loving this. Thank you to everyone on this board that posts answers to the million questions. You've made backyard chickens seem so easy!

Can't blame my purchase of straight run bantam chicks on any kids; I don't have any! But I did the same thing about 10 weeks ago, and then before they were ready to go outside, did it AGAIN. This was AFTER I'd put away the brooder, too.

So I have 2 straight run Sebrights (one Silver, one Golden) and a LF Delaware and a LF white EE in the brooder now, for another 3 weeks I think.

Straight run. What an idiot. But they're so cute! Two Silver Sebrights, a Buff Brahma and a Black Cochin, all bantams, are the youngest outside right now. So when I picked up the next two Sebrights, I also chose two LF chicks just to combat my impulse purchases of bantam fowl.

Yah, that makes sense.
roll.png

I'm dying to know what I got. Not only were they straight run, they were "mixed breeds". I am new to chickens, so I have no idea what I would even look for. One is like a laced wyandotte, maybe, kind of color? White feathers with black edges (she only has wing feathers at this point). The other is going to be very pretty. She's got long feathers on her feet (they are filthy!) and she's almost a pearly, very light gray. Her cheeks are fluffier than the other.

This is like a b-day present! The anticipation is killing me!

I can't avoid the Agway on chick days because they have chicks for the whole summer! They never have empty troughs! Thank goodness I filled up the coop at the chickenstock, or I'd be even more tempted to buy stuff I really don't want.
roll.png

Quote:
Feathered feet? Muff in place of wattles? You may have a d"Uccle chick. If so, you have hit the chicken jackpot! Our favorite hen is half Serama, half d'Uccle, and we love her so much we got some pure d'Uccle hatching eggs and now are raising five d"Uccle chicks. They are hilarious to watch. It looks like they're wearing bell bottoms.

Elmo, I googled and you could be right. Her feet feathers are super long.... and she's got a very fluffy face (compared to the other who has a very sleek face). She's that kind of gray, pearly color too. Neat!!! I guess that she could be a cochin as well? But her feet feathers seem so over the top. I'll post pics as soon as my husband come back with the camera.

The cross beak is so cute, too. They seem so LITTLE compared to the standard chicks.

Just had to share a TSC experience we had this spring. Went in for feed, and of course they had the baby chicks, and of course hubby and I had to look. Hubby is new to chickens but is doing well, so far. No labels on any of the tanks, no pricing, nada. I flag down this young man and ask, "What breeds do you have in this tank ( visibly several different kinds ) and are they sexed straight run, pullet or cockerels. The guy looks me dead straight in the eye and says, "Straight run." So I ask the question differently..."O.K., can you tell me what breeds might be in this tank?" Again I am met with the same deadpan answer. I then attempt to explain that straight run would be related to the sex of the birds, not the breed. Guy then tells me that the tank is straight run as far as the breeds. Hubby and I locked eyeballs for a few seconds, I swear to God...I thought hubby was going to either launch into a Bill Engvall skit about "Here's your sign" or just laugh so hard we would need a cleanup over in aisle 5. We both managed to keep it together and thanked the guy for his help. So, due to TSC we now have a long running joke about things being straight run.

I can only share this with other poultry people cause the rest of the world just don't get it!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom