Darn Chicken Math!

chicksandkids

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
A few weeks ago, we decided we wanted 2 or 3 hens for laying (and then use their poo for our compost; extra bonus!). Well 10 days ago, we went to TSC. And we found out we had to buy a minimum of six chicks because of state law. Okay, now we have SIX chicks.

At the same time, we had the idea of doing Easter portraits (we're photographers). Bunnies are cute, sure...but baby chicks? How awesome are they?! But then our girls are really feathering out. So I said to the husband, "Maybe we can get a few more from a local person so we don't have to get 6 more." And he agreed. So, we've been planning on getting 3 more chicks from a person that is about an hour's drive from us. She has Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Brahmas and Barred Rocks.

Today, I had to get chick grit and extra supplies for the 3 chicks we were supposed to get tonight. I even said to my girls as we pulled into TSC, "We are NOT buying more chicks today. Do NOT ask."

We walk inside...and they have Silver Laced Wyandottes. They also have some pullets that are probably about a week old. Not a whole lot of feathering out - still definitely have the "baby" look to them.

So I called the husband, and I say, "I'm just throwing this out there so you know this was an option, but TSC has..."

And he said, "Let's just get them then." So NOW, I'm on my way BACK to TSC to buy 6 more chicks.

Darn Chicken Math.

"just gonna have 2 or 3"
"well, if 6 is a requirement...."
"maybe we'll get 3 more...."
"well, it IS a far drive, let's just get 6 from TSC again."

Yup. Chicken Math.
thumbsup.gif

Us too. Bought 3 hens. Then Marcy wanted 2 cute little calico cochins. So while we were there, we got another hen (cuckoo maran). Then another guy was selling 2 cuckoo marans, so we thought why not. Then I got 2 different breed hens from another breeder to diversify some more. Then another backyard chickener needed to sell his 5. So now we have 15....

smile.png

A few weeks ago, we decided we wanted 2 or 3 hens for laying (and then use their poo for our compost; extra bonus!). Well 10 days ago, we went to TSC. And we found out we had to buy a minimum of six chicks because of state law. Okay, now we have SIX chicks.

At the same time, we had the idea of doing Easter portraits (we're photographers). Bunnies are cute, sure...but baby chicks? How awesome are they?! But then our girls are really feathering out. So I said to the husband, "Maybe we can get a few more from a local person so we don't have to get 6 more." And he agreed. So, we've been planning on getting 3 more chicks from a person that is about an hour's drive from us. She has Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Brahmas and Barred Rocks.

Today, I had to get chick grit and extra supplies for the 3 chicks we were supposed to get tonight. I even said to my girls as we pulled into TSC, "We are NOT buying more chicks today. Do NOT ask."

We walk inside...and they have Silver Laced Wyandottes. They also have some pullets that are probably about a week old. Not a whole lot of feathering out - still definitely have the "baby" look to them.

So I called the husband, and I say, "I'm just throwing this out there so you know this was an option, but TSC has..."

And he said, "Let's just get them then." So NOW, I'm on my way BACK to TSC to buy 6 more chicks.

Darn Chicken Math.

"just gonna have 2 or 3"
"well, if 6 is a requirement...."
"maybe we'll get 3 more...."
"well, it IS a far drive, let's just get 6 from TSC again."

Yup. Chicken Math.
thumbsup.gif

Just wait until you start incubating eggs....just a few would be cool....then you end up with 2 incubators full of eggs. LOL

Back
Top Bottom