Darn it!!!!!! She was on the wrong nest today!

SueSteeves

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
Southern California
Well I just went out to feed and found my broody sitting in the wrong nest!!!!!!!
somad.gif
he.gif
All the eggs were cool to the touch
sad.png
I wish I knew exactly how long she has been on the wrong nest.....could have been since last night. I was really looking forward to these chicks as I spent a good deal of money (to me at least) on these eggs and wanted more bantam cochins. I put her back on the correct nest and I guess I am just going to have to wait and see if anything hatches this weekend. Well, lesson learned: from now on all broody hens are being seperated so they don't get confused. Just wanted to vent. Maybe I will but more eggs with christmas money if she continues to stay broody and nothing hatches.

I am going to go and mope over a cup of hot chocolate now.
hit.gif

Thanks! I am just going to hope for the best, and if the eggs are no longer viable then there is still plenty of time to hatch out more chicks so that they will be laying age by this summer. I just have chick fever right now I guess
roll.png

Ahh my hens have done that before.

I'd candle them. Don't loose hope, but expect a late hatch.

Thanks Dennis! At least winter hatching/chicks is no big deal for us in our climate
wink.png

peafowlmom: I have three bantam cochins (two buff, 1 black frizzle) and a 4 week old dark brahma pullet ( I hope
fl.gif
) The eggs I bought are for blue/black bantam cochins. I really want some splash cochin bantams next! I love those sweet little fluffy butts.

I've had that happen before. You still have a chance. I have a three hole nest box and I will trap the hen in with the eggs. I let her out twice a day to poop and eat.
But, it is best to seperate. Thats what I do now.

My broody has done it twice now with the same batch of eggs and they were ice cold to the touch. I candle em and all 3 eggs still have movement and development and should start hatching any day now.......

Eggs are pretty resilient.

Back
Top Bottom