Darn Red Tailed Hawks!!!!

CluckyCluck

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
There are three hawks that have taken to just living around my chickens it seems. I have lost 3 hens in 1.5 months - my most favorite barred rock hen today. How is it they seem to just pick my favorites??

I put out a hawk decoy I got at TSC company, but I think it's a coopers hawk intended to keep away a shin hawk? Will this keep away a red tailed hawk?

To add insult to injury it was just sitting on the telephone pole watching me find it's mess. :(

I'm sure my poor girl was running for cover and was SO close - literally right next to the bush and bam. Insert a bunch of curse words here.

I have locked them out of the big field - but now I'm worried it will move to inside the chicken pen. They are all staying close to their coop right now - and traumatized.

What can I do to get rid of them?

*edit spelling*

Last edited:
There are three hawks that have taken to just living around my chickens it seems. I have lost 3 hens in 1.5 months - my most favorite barred rock hen today. How is it they seem to just pick my favorites??

I put out a hawk decoy I got at TSC company, but I think it's a coopers hawk intended to keep away a shin hawk? Will this keep away a red tailed hawk?

To add insult to injury it was just sitting on the telephone pole watching me find it's mess. :(

I'm sure my poor girl was running for cover and was SO close - literally right next to the bush and bam. Insert a bunch of curse words here.

I have locked them out of the big field - but now I'm worried it will move to inside the chicken pen. They are all staying close to their coop right now - and traumatized.

What can I do to get rid of them?

*edit spelling*

I am sorry for the loss of your chickens!

Here is a tip form Northern Calofornia:

I have heard of people stringing fishing line across the run area, crisscrossed, to keep the hawks out. In a large area, they put t-posts throughout the range area, to attach the line to.

Make sure that they have some sort of shelters everywhere to duck under. I've seen A-frames & even trampolines used for protection from hawks.

You could modify this to make a trap and then send the Hawk off to Fish and Game.

Last edited:
I have always loved birds of prey - until I got chickens.

I don't own a gun.

This is the first chicken loss that I've cried about - I think it's all catching up with me. The first time I thought - well ****, that just sucks - my favorite girl - I guess sometimes this happens.

Second one, I thought son of a you know what - what the heck!!!! Not my favorite, but one a really liked.

Third one - now that was just rude. My NEW favorite. Now they're just being greedy - this has to be war!!!!!

Why can't they eat the fat ground hog under the my container???

I have always loved birds of prey - until I got chickens.

I don't own a gun.

This is the first chicken loss that I've cried about - I think it's all catching up with me. The first time I thought - well ****, that just sucks - my favorite girl - I guess sometimes this happens.

Second one, I thought son of a you know what - what the heck!!!! Not my favorite, but one a really liked.

Third one - now that was just rude. My NEW favorite. Now they're just being greedy - this has to be war!!!!!

Why can't they eat the fat ground hog under the my container???
Hawks need to swoop down on their prey at an angle. They need to see their prey too. If you block their view and or flight access they will not get to your chickens.

If you want the hawk to get the ground hog, it would have to move out into the open.

I would be very sad about losing chickens to a hawk. Mine are in a place where they can't get them. We have a lot of them in my neighborhood.

Do you have any big roosters? They will protect the flock and fight off the hawk. A Big aggressive one like a Game will do serious damage to a hawk.

My roosters are only about 5 months old. I also have a tom turkey, but he's young too (This years bird). He does pay close attention to the hawks - but I don't think my roosters are old enough yet to protect. The barred rock - Rupert - he's starting to. He hasn't even crowed yet and is like 5 months old. And my other rooster which I guess is a bantam rooster hasn't either.

The spot where two of my girls were slaughtered is right at the brush line - they would be the most hidden there - guess I'm in big trouble.

The first one was in the open horse field :( They don't go back there anymore. So, none have been attacked in the pen, but now that I've locked them up the hawks will just have a smaller concentrated area to get them.

I'm going to have to build a chicken wire enclosure. WAHHH.

Hate to say this, but my run is a cold frame with chicken wire over it. Untill this week, it was just layed over it - figured that if people used fishing line, chicken wire would certianly keep them out - nope.... found the hawk muching on my little leghorn. I wired the chicken wire together then in the afternoon, I found it had pried some of it off (no swooping there) and got my other leghorn. I made my run fort knox only to find a headless barred rock yesterday partly pulled through the chicken wire. Either I got an obsessed hawk, or they are much more of a problem then most believe!

Omgosh Suburban - that REALLY JUST SUCKS!!!!! I'm so sorry. It's traumatizing and they always seem to get the favorites.

I haven't seen any hawks today - they're either full or my decoy is working.

Back
Top Bottom