Darned Coons (not because of the chickens)

Swamp Roo

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
SW FL
Bought three nice and shiny new bags of feed yesterday. It was after dark, I was tired, so I just covered them up to keep the moisture off of them, and left them in the truck bed. The little blighters tore into two bags and the dew got to the bags anyway. Worst part is it's my own darned fault, I knew I should have put them away. Coons are bad this year, getting into everything and I've already shot 4 since the new year. I'm the only one in the neighborhood that hasn't declared war yet. I'll be gone for a week, but when I get back those coons and I will have a discussion. I even know which coons did it, I surprised them the other night, by the time I got back with the shotgun, they had climbed back out of the trees they had scrambled up. I'm gonna carry the bloody thing around with me at night for a while. Grumble, Grumble. Oh well, vent over. At least they haven't figured out how to get past the electric on the coop... yet. I did get the young squirrel that figured out he wasn't too big to squeeze into my run. More fly tying material.

Swamp

'Coons are the one thing that really is difficult to handle, they are so smart and clever. I think the best deterrent for 'coons is ... a dog! Unfortunately I live in a leash law area - too many chickens ravaged by neighbor's dogs - I live next to a lot that is undeveloped and has some small and larger trees on it - the 'coons are pretty brave.

Back
Top Bottom