Darned Hawk!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LeezyBeezy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    We were eating dinner around 6:30, and my 4 y.o. was talking up a storm. In the midst of it all, I heard a very strange noise- like an alarm squawk. I run to the kitchen window to see a Goshawk on the ground! [​IMG] I ran out around the hosue ASAP, meeting my alarm-squawking NHR who's looking in the direction of the back of the house. I careen around the corner, to NOT see the hawk. I was convinced for a second it took my other SS hen. I smacked my hands and away it flew from a corner of the house that I could see because of a large honeysuckle tree/bush.

Then, I see a few feathers on the ground and am thinking the worse. [​IMG] Then I heard my sweet hen cluck. She was hiding underneath the bush. While I was running out to scare the hawk away, she had gone under the bush and was playing ring-around-the-rosey with the hawk. It took me a little while to get her out. She was making an odd chattering sound. Poor girl. Then I picked her up and checked her out, no blood or anything. Thank goodness!!

So, the dog needs to stay outside more and the girls are staying in for a few days. I hope the hawk forgets about her!! [​IMG] This is the first time since we got them a few moths ago that we've had any hint of a predator. Although we have foxes around here, there are so many mice, plus the dog has chased them, that they seem to steer clear. I can only hope!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    What a close call!! Yeah the other day there was a hawk circleing overhead when my girls were free ranging and I have two 14 week old girls one of which is red and white. All 5 chickens RAN under cover and into bushes, I came into view with my dog and the hawk moved on. Haven't seen it again but my dog is now outside most of the day as am I!

3. hennylove

hennylove In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern WA Rural
    Whew, that was a close one. So glad your girls are okay!
    [​IMG]

4. beachchickie

beachchickie Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I had an alarm squawk on Sun am and saw my big EE on the fenced porch. Kept thinking why is she on the porch we let her out and were almost inside when she squawked again and we looked to see a Coopers hawk swooping down and Trudy just stood there. My husband ran out into the yard flapping his "wings" like a big ole bird and it flew off. We had girls on lock down for 2 days. Haven't seen the hawk since. Hope we don't

5. Sew the Farmers Wife

Sew the Farmers Wife In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Palmyra
    We had a very similar incident. It was right at dinner time, and my daughter informed me all our chickens went "way into the corn field" which they never do. So I went out to see what was going on, and made the mistake of calling them, the minute my hens were out of the corn the hawk swooped down a few yards ahead of me, aiming right for my Golden Comets. I clapped and yelled and it landed in one of our trees and hung out there for about 15 minutes while we were in the yard, then finally flew away. Kept them in for a couple of days, and the dogs spend much more time outside, and I have also hung the shiny ribbons around the yard, so far we have had no more problems.

Good Luck!

6. Dacy Meadow Farmer

Dacy Meadow Farmer In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Westport
    We live in Northern New York and so far it seems like the Hawks only come around during the hottest part of the day when they can ride the thermals. Luckily, that is when the chickens are hanging out in the underbrush staying cool themselves. In the evening they get confident and forage way out in the pasture, sometimes as far as 50-75 yards form the woods. I'm worried they are getting too comfortable. Especially when the cows are in the pasture, they seem to get really confident. They are also discerning when it is a crow or duck and no longer run back to safety when they fly over. I'm worried about an owl in the evening. We have a lot of activity so the foxes have stayed away during the day.

7. dis go chikens

dis go chikens Hatching

Aug 17, 2010
    A few days ago i was out in my front yard when i spotted a golden eagle 60 feet in the air circling around where my flock was free ranging. [​IMG] Then I ran outside screaming and yelling as loud as I could and it flew away. The eagle was giant!!! I am so glad that I was outside when it happened or my chickens would have been an eagle snack.[​IMG] It hasnt come back since. I hope you guys wont have any more problems.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010

8. maine chicks

maine chicks Songster

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    Glad you were there in time. Beware of migrating hawks from now thru Oct if you are in the Maine flyway. I have even had eagles drop in to pick up birds from the yard.

9. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I have seen an eagle fly over, but that was a few months ago. I rarely even see hawks, but we are surrounded by fields (=mice) and trees. I'll keep my eyes open. The other thing that may have precipiated this was, we removed some ties that had been used to mark off a playground area in the backyard. It is full of bugs and the girls have been out in the open, wandering over to that area. It is also close to an open field. I'm thinking that's how the hawk spotted them. Normally, they stick close to the house, or are in the barn. [​IMG] I'm so thankful he didn't kill her. It looked to be a juvenile, not even big enough to fly off with her- not yet, anyway.

We're in New Gloucester, between Auburn and Portland. Where is the migration path?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. Keara

Keara Songster

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    We lose a few every year around this time. Migration! Last week it was a Falcon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by