Das Hühnerhaus

Am incredibly impressed that you could do such a decent drawing in power point (long time drafter here).

Would suggest you go bigger on the coop portion and smaller on the shed portion, chicken math you know. ;-)

Move the coop wall out to include the nests:
-Will give an extra foot of floor space inside and you can still access eggs from outside coop.
-Easier routing for water lines.
-Simpler to build.

Leave the entire rafter and eave areas open, and make overhang as big as possible, cover eaves on outside with hardware cloth for maximum ventilation and predator proofing. Consider a clerestory roof configuration(see My Coop) excellent for ventilation.

Move nests as low as possible, so roosts can be higher but closer to floor for easy up and especially down(small coops-less flight and ramp room).

Just a few ideas.

Am incredibly impressed that you could do such a decent drawing in power point (long time drafter here).

Would suggest you go bigger on the coop portion and smaller on the shed portion, chicken math you know. ;-)

Move the coop wall out to include the nests:
-Will give an extra foot of floor space inside and you can still access eggs from outside coop.
-Easier routing for water lines.
-Simpler to build.

Leave the entire rafter and eave areas open, and make overhang as big as possible, cover eaves on outside with hardware cloth for maximum ventilation and predator proofing. Consider a clerestory roof configuration(see My Coop) excellent for ventilation.

Move nests as low as possible, so roosts can be higher but closer to floor for easy up and especially down(small coops-less flight and ramp room).

Just a few ideas.

Just remeasured everything and we can make a 2.5' shed and get around 7'x6' coop with your suggestions. Based on this, wife just agreed to up the ante to as many as 10 chicks! Woohhooo! Thanks!!

Convinced my wife to keep 10 and order 15. Here's what we ordered from Meyer Hatchery for January delivery:

4 Barred Rocks
3 Buff Orpingtons
4 Australorps
4 Easter Eggers
One freebie, TBD. (Meyer Meal Maker)

I guess the clock is ticking on me completing the coop...

Getting new chicks is so exciting! Keep us posted on how Das Huhnerhaus is coming along and definitely share pictures of the new little ones!

Maybe you haven't seen the 'rule of thumb' for chicken space?
4sqft per bird in the coop and 10sqft per bird in the run is often cited......but in a lot of folks' minds, including mine, that is a bare minimum.
Commercial production facilities are something like 1-2sqft per bird, for a comparison.

BUT it can depend on a lot of variables, especially climate and predator pressure. My birds are totally confined, per my personal preference due to predator pressure.
I had 7-8 sqft per bird last winter when they spent many days confined to the coop due to extremely cold and snowy weather.......things got a little testy, tho nothing catastrophic, with less space to move around in, and it showed me the importance of lots of space. More space equals happier birds and less problems for keepers.

There's a link to a great article about space on my signature line, just below this post...check it out.

Back
Top Bottom