Dasp mini digital incubator trial and review.

allsummedup

Songster
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Sierra Vista, Arizona
First let me say! I am not affiliated with Dasp, or any other incubator company. So I am entirely unbiased! This is just a personal review I am posting so that maybe when someone else looks into getting one of these incubators maybe they can find a review of it (namely this one as I think I'm the only one doing this currently) because lord knows that I could not find a single review or scrap of information on it anywhere other than the short blurb on the website.

Okay so this is my yellow dasp mini digital Incubator.
Retails at around 90$
Usually sells on eBay for around 70$.
Got mine for 55$ with free shipping so I'm really hoping this will turn out to be a fairly good inexpensive incubator.

Holds 7 eggs at most but it's recommended that you only put 6 in for best results.
This incubator also boasts something strange. . . That it requires absolutely no turning.
Also notice that it holds the eggs end to end instead of laying on their sides as most incubators do.
This is the egg tray

Here I have my BLRW ( Blue Laced Red Wyandotte) eggs!
They had a rough ride all the way from texas to alaska to say the least and one even has a drastically cracked shell As you can see. Poor little fella however the membrane wasn't broken so I figure hey why not at least give the little guy a chance. I'll be candling after 7 days and if we have no progress ill be tossing out any inactive's anyway.
The gangs baby picture! Let it be said that if the cracked egg hatches his name will be lucky.

Okay so on with the set up.
This incubator doesn't really have any actual moisture keeping pan thingy. It instead has a small lip around the inside rim
As pictured here.

But that seems really spill splash prone soo instead of just putting water in the lip. I ripped off an appropriately sized piece of washcloth rolled it up wetted it with warm water then placed that inside instead.
As you can see here

Okay in go the eggs! Good luck lucky my little cracked egg and on gos the dome!

Set to the appropriate temperature! 37.5c.
Which was really easy I might add as the display is easy as pie to read and use.
Over all a very intuitive machine to say the least.

And we are of to the races!

Update in 7 days for candling.

Keep in mind I am not turning! Not once! I'm not even going to tilt it.

5/04
Day 7 progress update!

Okay first things first a few operating notes before we get to the candling results.

-holds temperature much better than I thought it would. Thought it has a tendency to hover around 37.1 degrees instead of the ideal 37.5.

- When you open the lid at all unplug the incubator. If you do not the heating element works over time to compensate and when you do put the lid back on you'll have a HUGE temperature spike that's takes sometime to cool back down.

- keeping up with humidity could be easier. Removing the egg tray eggs to moisten the wash cloth or refill the little lip thing. Isn't exactly convenient.

- a few (3 out if six) of my eggs had detached air cells so this incubator was great for holding them properly so the air cells could re attach in the first few days.

Okay now on with the bit I'm sure you have all been eagerly awaiting.

1 in 6 if the eggs has definite growth inside I can clearly see a itty bitty chick and veins.

2 other eggs appear to have some veins. Now I'm not 100% sure they do but they might one of these is the cracked egg. maybe I need a more powerful candler.

And

3 are just as clear as the day I put them in the incubator and appear to have no progress at this point.

DAY 12 UPDATE!!!

First The BAD news.
Decided to Toss two eggs that showed no progress from day one.
Out of curiosity i cracked them open to see what happened.
-Egg one it seems was scrambled during shipping :/the insides came out as a liquid and their was no air cell. Needless to say there was absolutely no growth.
-The other was the badly cracked egg that I had named lucky. The Insides were dry and clumpy. Apparently I need to use more wax next time I seal the cracks on an egg.

Secondly the GOOD news.
The four remaining eggs seem to show signs of life!
-Three eggs show veins and dark spots. These I will make it into lock down.
-The one Egg that was showing rapid growth is still progressing nicely. It's almost completely dark in there.

The air cells are also reaching the appropriate size in preparation for hatch day which is only 9 days away! Wooo!!! There is hope for this incubator yet!

Last edited:
Wait so what do you mean it doesn't require turning? That it comes with an automatic egg turner? Which may I add really isn't that unusual for an incubator but maybe I'm understanding you wrong.
But anyway can't wait for your update in 7 days! :) I'm glad you are doing this and I wish people would do this more often. I got the hovabator 1062N for my current hatch, and I can't say I'm too happy with it. The temp is constantly fluncuating in a temp controlled room and the wafer keeps getting loose on it and I'm adjusting it every few days.

Wait so what do you mean it doesn't require turning? That it comes with an automatic egg turner? Which may I add really isn't that unusual for an incubator but maybe I'm understanding you wrong.
But anyway can't wait for your update in 7 days!
smile.png
I'm glad you are doing this and I wish people would do this more often. I got the hovabator 1062N for my current hatch, and I can't say I'm too happy with it. The temp is constantly fluncuating in a temp controlled room and the wafer keeps getting loose on it and I'm adjusting it every few days.

One thing I have learned with the Hovabators, and and even the old Brower, and Sears round metal incubators, is that they don't require a fan. The fan actually causes too much temperature fluctuation. If your's doesn't have a fan in it, then your thermostat would be the problem, you can buy wafers for thermostats at CackleHatchery.com for only 8.00 w/ FREE shipping. Also if you say that it gets loose, you either don't have a good Wafer, or the threads on the 'L' shaped adjustment knob have started to wear down. You may just want to replace your whole Wafer Thermostat assembly if that's the case.

As for the incubator, I have heard of people that have hatched eggs without turning them. I don't think you would get a successful hatch, but you will get a few chicks with that method. Very strange incubator, I have seen them on Ebay and was curious about how well they worked.

You paid 55 for that? I paid 60 for my hovabator, which I know isn't nearly as fancy but it holds like 50 chicken eggs or something.
I just looked on eBay on it and I have to say if it wasn't so small I'd be a little jealous of all those nice features!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom