Day 12 - big blob and no veins

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
It is day 12 in my bator and one of my nine eggs concerns me. When candling, I see a blob but I don't see any veins. There is movement in the other eggs, with veins, but this one appears still. Should I give it a couple more days, or just take it out now? This is my first batch so I am inexperinced, but that egg looks dubious.

Could you post a pic? It is pretty hard to tell an egg that is that far along. Is the 'blob' the same size as the rest? If so, I would wait until day 18, when you stop turning them, and candle again. If the egg is a quitter, it will be different from the others for sure, then you could toss. When in doubt, mark it with a ?, and leave it in there. As long as it is not stinky or weepy, it should be fine.

I would say it's a dud. Crack it open and confirm. It is the only way to learn.

Jody

I am not sure I can get a good pic of it, but I will try. The blob kind of floats to the top of the egg. it is dark, yet you can see where it is/was an embryo. It is within a dark circular patch, and it is lighter outside of that. All the other eggs have a dark part inside, but there is obvious movement and kind of a throbbing action. The dark part comes in and out of view, and their are lots of thick veins. I will work on a picture. As long as it doesnt blow up i dont mind leaving it for a few more days.

When I find an egg like this, I mark to be watched. I have had eggs that I almost threw out, then re candled later to find life. They can hide in there sometimes, and may be mistaken as a bad egg. Just take mental notes and keep checking it, placing it in a different incubator if possible, nothing worse than an exploding egg, plus it takes stress of your good eggs keeping the bator closed.

Now on the other side, you sure feel bad checking a good egg, thinking it was bad, but its also a great learning experiance. I am sure we all have done this, but thats how you learn.

Good luck!!

My experience with that is they are duds.
It's possible that they are alive so if they don't smell you can keep them i there longer. Mark them and check it on day 18.

Sorry, but i kinda agree with hinkjc.
sad.png
But definitely give it a couple or more days before throwing it out. By day 4-7 you should have seen veining. I think it's a dud, too. sorry.
idunno.gif

Yes, pictures would help!

And do you see a little dot in the "blob"? If so, is the "dot" moving around? Here's a link to a website that shows pictures of what they should look like at different stages when candled, and what they look like when bad/good. Hope it helps!
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=cXI&sa=G
Good luck!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
The more I looked at it, the more it looked like it had died. I even suspected a blood ring, but wasnt sure. So for the sake of learning, I went ahead and opened it up, and sure enough, the poor guy had died. There was a blood ring, and the veins were all empty of blood. Sad, but interesting!

awww! So sorry!
hugs.gif
Poor little guy.
But at least you did open it; it may have exploded after a while.
sickbyc.gif

Good job! You did the right thing.
hugs.gif
But don't let it get you down! You have other eggs to hatch still, and think of it as a learning experience!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom