Day 13....um what is going on here?

rcentner

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Le Roy, NY
ok, I have NEVER bought eggs to hatch cuz my broody hens do it for me :)
However, I found a lady close to me that has phoenix eggs and I really want more phoenix. so I bought 5 (would have bought 6 but the lady broke one in transit to my house
th.gif
) I set those 5 eggs under my broody on 3/2...candled this evening...day 13 but I can see through the eggs...shouldn't they be farther along than that? I can see a few that have large air sacs and those appear to have dark yolks, but I see no veins or anything like that. looked at the egg candle pics in the sticky and now I am concerned. Like maybe they were developing and stopped or never did in the 1st place...but by now I would think they would start to decay if not fertile...I know what an unfertile, incubated egg looks (and smells) like and it doesn't look like that.

I wondered if it could be delayed from handling them prior to setting? I will wait and candle next week, but I am feeling a bit ****** right now. I hope this lady does good by me if they don't hatch....wasn't even craigslist, lol.

what are your thoughts? I know....you want candle photos but I didn't have the camera...perhaps I can candle them tomorrow and post photos if they come out cause I have never photographed candled eggs

To me, it sounds like your eggs never even developed. If they're completely clear, with no sign of veining, then you've got bad eggs. At day 13 you should have fairly dark eggs, with LOTS of veining and a decent sized air sell. They would be more than halfway grown.

That is what I feared....

2nd question: Do I set more eggs under the hen? She was sitting for 4 days before I set the eggs under her, can she go another 21 days?

Back
Top Bottom