Day 14 and of course I am getting nervous.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, Sep 19, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Today is Day 14 on my Ebay Red Cochins and mt couple of Bantam plus the Favorelles from Bantyman. I candled again last night and will one more time before I move them to the hatcher. I only have 4 of each that are questionable and those look like they may or may not be developing, the shells for some reason have been harder to see through.
    I have my hatcher up and it's a still air staying steady about 101 humidity is holding at 76%
    I feel the humidity is a bit high so keeping an eye on it and will tweak Sunday and Monday if necessary.

I know there are many different theorys/opinions on what hatching humidity should be, I have always tried to stay no more than 70% . So any opinions?

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I prefer to start my hatch in the high 50's - low 60's simply because the humidity jumps so high once hatching starts. I have lost too many *wet* chicks and have had great results since I reduced it.
    Krista

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I start around 68-70 on Day 18 and I haven't had to add water ever. In the interest of trying to keep the hatcher closed I theorized that by the time they hatch it is 60 - 63 and they seem to do well. Maybe I should reconsider and let some water evaporate and start lower.

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

If the humidity is too high, take a paper towel and sop up the water in the trays. That will reduce the humidity really quick. I lost about 6 guineas to this last week and did not think of sopping up the dern water! Blonde moment I guess.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The humidity is supposed to be around 50 or 55% til day 18, then up to about 65% (or more) till hatch. A good way to tell if they are okay is by the size of the air sac. Here is a link that shows what it should look like.
    http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/hatch.htm#cond

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I followed those guidelines and lost a lot of wet chicks. I now dry incubate with humidity usually in the 30's and my hatch rate has skyrocketed, now I don't know what to do with all the *extra* chicks that are hatching [​IMG] . I don't do the 65%+ just because once the hatch would start humidity would go to the 80%'s
    That is what works for me, where I live [​IMG]

Krista

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I followed those guidelines and lost a lot of wet chicks. I now dry incubate with humidity usually in the 30's and my hatch rate has skyrocketed, now I don't know what to do with all the *extra* chicks that are hatching [​IMG] . I don't do the 65%+ just because once the hatch would start humidity would go to the 80%'s
    That is what works for me, where I live [​IMG]

Krista

My humidity is very hard to get to go up. It is usually about 40% at the most, and when they are hatching, I can get it up to about 60%, but only for a few hours, a day at the most. I do pretty well with the humidity like this, out of 2 sets, I have had one egg each that didn't hatch.

8. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Shelley,

Just spent over an hour searching for the air sac Website, thanks so much. I like the drawing best. TSK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by