Day 18 in a cardboard box...

Romchelyngal

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Hi all.. I joined a few weeks ago.. never thinking I would get this far..

I bought eggs (shipped) not far but still.

My original plan was to buy POL hens but covid 19 hit and I refuse to go out if I dont have to!

So, we are hatching..

To be honest I genuinely didnt think I'd get this far.

But as it happens today is day 18.

Lockdown. Eeek..

I'm not silly, I and prepared for the worst but hoping for the best.

My set up.

A cardboard box lined with silver foil, polystyrene on the bottom, a hand towel over that for the bottom.

I have two thermometers both ageing on temp of 101/102.

Air holes because it gets to hot otherwise.

I have a medium sized shallow dish filled with water from the kettle.goes in warm.

I found that adding cold water would bring the temperature down.

It has a 40 watt light bulb and a sheet of glass for a window.

The eggs are doing fabulous (so far)..

My problem is I'm petrified... they didnt ask to live and potentially die.. I did that!! So if they die I'll feel immense guilt!!

I have drawn around the air pockets.

I have turned 3 sometimes 4 times a day.

My hands are always clean when handling them.

I candled this morning to find both babies alive and it amazed me!! Its very dark inside the eggs. Just air pocket and dark with a little movement isall I can see.

One eggs has a small air pocket the other is quite large and goes around the side too.

I have read and read and it seems as tho I'm doing everything right and both air pockets sound normal.

I do NOT have a humidity thing tho.

I will go n get one today.. but I fear its probably too late.

One egg seems to be FULL the other seems to have room..

They were both incubated on the same day.

3pm tuesday is day 21 complete.

I plan on having a flannel half in and half out of the water dish to up the humidity.

Please please be kind..

I want harsh reality too because I need to know but I'm embarrassed that I've not done this properly..I need help.. I'm so scared they have got this far but will die at the last minute because I didnt ask for help.

Can someone please give me any advise on what to do now?

Thank you so much for taking your time to read and sorry it's so long

Kind regards

Attachments

• 15877215500752833397353163709213.jpg
    15877215500752833397353163709213.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hi all.. I joined a few weeks ago.. never thinking I would get this far..

I bought eggs (shipped) not far but still.

My original plan was to buy POL hens but covid 19 hit and I refuse to go out if I dont have to!

So, we are hatching..

To be honest I genuinely didnt think I'd get this far.

But as it happens today is day 18.

Lockdown. Eeek..

I'm not silly, I and prepared for the worst but hoping for the best.

My set up.

A cardboard box lined with silver foil, polystyrene on the bottom, a hand towel over that for the bottom.

I have two thermometers both ageing on temp of 101/102.

Air holes because it gets to hot otherwise.

I have a medium sized shallow dish filled with water from the kettle.goes in warm.

I found that adding cold water would bring the temperature down.

It has a 40 watt light bulb and a sheet of glass for a window.

The eggs are doing fabulous (so far)..

My problem is I'm petrified... they didnt ask to live and potentially die.. I did that!! So if they die I'll feel immense guilt!!

I have drawn around the air pockets.

I have turned 3 sometimes 4 times a day.

My hands are always clean when handling them.

I candled this morning to find both babies alive and it amazed me!! Its very dark inside the eggs. Just air pocket and dark with a little movement isall I can see.

One eggs has a small air pocket the other is quite large and goes around the side too.

I have read and read and it seems as tho I'm doing everything right and both air pockets sound normal.

I do NOT have a humidity thing tho.

I will go n get one today.. but I fear its probably too late.

One egg seems to be FULL the other seems to have room..

They were both incubated on the same day.

3pm tuesday is day 21 complete.

I plan on having a flannel half in and half out of the water dish to up the humidity.

Please please be kind..

I want harsh reality too because I need to know but I'm embarrassed that I've not done this properly..I need help.. I'm so scared they have got this far but will die at the last minute because I didnt ask for help.

Can someone please give me any advise on what to do now?

Thank you so much for taking your time to read and sorry it's so long

Kind regards
Yeah, honestly I think you did great too! Some eggs just have more room than others, no big deal. Just sit on your hands, up humidity and stop turning. Don't panic, they've got this. Don't mess with them at all during lockdown. :)

Thank you both.. really nervous now.
I have soaked a sponge and put it onto a small Tupperware lid plus half in half out of water dish flannel but wet all over..
Also stolen some small rocks 20p sized from hubby's crockery and put in water dish.
I boiled them for 15 minutes b4 putting them in. I hope this is ok??
I'm sooo nervous..
I will NOT open the box now until they either hatch or it gets to day 23 and nothing happens..
Is that right?

Thank you both.. really nervous now.
I have soaked a sponge and put it onto a small Tupperware lid plus half in half out of water dish flannel but wet all over..
Also stolen some small rocks 20p sized from hubby's crockery and put in water dish.
I boiled them for 15 minutes b4 putting them in. I hope this is ok??
I'm sooo nervous..
I will NOT open the box now until they either hatch or it gets to day 23 and nothing happens..
Is that right?
Sounds good :D Do you have a window or something so you can see in? It's best nt to open it, but if you have to refill water or take out a chick or something it's not the end of the world. Just keep opening to a bare minimum

Back
Top Bottom