Day 18 Lockdown Humidity Problems. Advice?

Chasingcars

Songster
Sep 15, 2017
Derbyshire , England
Today is lockdown and I’m using a new incubator . Chicktec Inca 50.
First 18days kept at around 28%.( I’ve always kept first 18days at 25-30 and had good results.)
I simply cannot get the humidity above 40%. Temp is 38.
Despite programming digital guide to 65%!!!
Here’s what I’ve tried today...
Tray is full so maximum water surface area achieved.
Additional tray added on hatching level with sponge & water in.
Small Jar with wick added..no more room to add any further water inside.

Incubator is near a radiator . I’ve added humidifying dishes to radiator but should I try turning radiator off? Its the only thing I haven’t tried but I’m in England and it’s around 20 degrees inside when heating is on , 6degrees outside and raining..snow predicted this weekend again so temps will drop..not sure turning off radiator is an option?!
Move incubator?

Anything you can think of that I haven’t tried?
I have 30 eggs in there all candling as potential chicks!
:he

Maybe the radiator is drying up the moisture? I don't know if that's possible. Are you sure the humidity is correct because that sounds like way enough water to raise it. I also found adding warm water works faster.

I have the incubator digital display and a separate hydrometer ...both reading almost the same .
Water was warm, raises humidity slightly when filled but then drops again :(
I could kick myself for not trying to increase humidity greatly prior to putting eggs in ...I ran it for a couple of days, regulated everything and all seemed well so I put eggs in!

There is only so much an incubator can do when fighting low room humidity. Your best bet is to get a small room humidifier and put it next to it. Obviously you probably can't pick the incubator up and move it now, could you maybe set some cardboard up around it and a little humidifier and try to keep more in?

There is only so much an incubator can do when fighting low room humidity. Your best bet is to get a small room humidifier and put it next to it. Obviously you probably can't pick the incubator up and move it now, could you maybe set some cardboard up around it and a little humidifier and try to keep more in?

Blimey...just googled humidifiers £££££ :eek:
I’ve added water in dishes to every radiator to try and add as much water as I can to the air for this evening ..If anyone can suggest anything else ?
I’m shocked at how Low the humidity is here considering the amount of rain in Derbyshire :rolleyes:
If you all think a humidifier is the only way I will pick one up tomorrow on my way to work ...

Really? I see the little humidifiers for sale on FB groups all the time for like $5, and they're under $20 new. I mean like a little tabletop one, like for a baby's room.

Really? I see the little humidifiers for sale on FB groups all the time for like $5, and they're under $20 new. I mean like a little tabletop one, like for a baby's room.

I’m in rural England and the cheapest one within an hours drive of here is £40 (I think that’s about $60)
If you think it will work then I’ll get one...I’m thinking if the air is so dry in this house it’s probably unhealthy for us all!!

If your house stays that dry, I would shop around or order a little humidifier from Amazon and then set up in a closet for future hatches.

Thank you for your help...unfortunately I live in a closet :lau otherwise known as an English cottage!

The incubator is in my kitchen..with 30 potential chicks waiting tO hatching so I’m going try the humidifier..then at least I can say i tried my best for them ..and i’ll Be breathing nicer air!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom