Day 18 Lockdown Humidity Problems. Advice?

Aww angel you can increase incubator humidity by increasing surface area of the moisture! You can set paper towels in the wells to wick up water or set moistened sponges in there...your incubator is small so you should certainly be able to get your humidity up by increasing water exposure to air. Give it a shot?

NOTE: If you choose to use sponge method, USE NEW SPONGE(S) ONLY!!! Old/used ones can be a haven for bacteria.

Aww angel you can increase incubator humidity by increasing surface area of the moisture! You can set paper towels in the wells to wick up water or set moistened sponges in there...your incubator is small so you should certainly be able to get your humidity up by increasing water exposure to air. Give it a shot?

NOTE: If you choose to use sponge method, USE NEW SPONGE(S) ONLY!!! Old/used ones can be a haven for bacteria.

Thank you for the reply ...I think if I put any more sponges in there I’ll have it take out the eggs :jumpy I’ve added a couple more wicks but Im not hopeful ..I think it must be the ambient humidity that’s the problem as I’ve tried all the usual fixes and it’s only increased it by a few percent ..
Blumming new incubator & draughty old house in windy cold weather seems a terrible combination :he

What about making a moist microclimate with wet towels? You can make a circle around the outside; they don't have to be touching but they can create a humidifying effect. The other question at this point, if you have done all these things, is how accurate do you feel your hygrometer is? I find it hard to believe it's still so low considering all the heroic measures you've already taken! Your hygrometer may need calibrated.

What about making a moist microclimate with wet towels? You can make a circle around the outside; they don't have to be touching but they can create a humidifying effect. The other question at this point, if you have done all these things, is how accurate do you feel your hygrometer is? I find it hard to believe it's still so low considering all the heroic measures you've already taken! Your hygrometer may need calibrated.

Ooh I haven’t tried the micro climate ...I’ll give this a go now before I leave for work..may keep them going s bit longer till I get the humidifier.although I’ll probably come home and the dogs caught pneumonia from laying on the wet towels after he’s pulled them down knowing how my luck is going with this hatch...

I have two monitors both reading nearly the same and borrowed a friends just Incase ..there’s few degrees between them but nothing significant ...so i think the monitors are working ok..
I’m beginning to think giving birth is easier than this :barnie

LOL about the dog! I am so sorry things have been so hard. :( I am praying for your little ones! I live in Colorado USA and sometimes our humidity is in single digits here, so I've done the towel microclimate thing. If you have a clear plastic brooder tub, maybe invert it and place it over the whole setup, incubator and towels under there, so the air in between is super moist. Good luck! I am praying for your babies!

YOU ARE A STAR AND CHICK SAVER!
Thank you so much for your advice on the humidifier ..finally after just putting it in the room, then sealing the door moving it around etc ...then shooting a stream into the incubator...this set up did it and the humidity is up and my chcks have started to hatch
Thank you x

94E58838-2BF7-40B9-8E22-91E0913054E0.jpeg 7E3E84F6-AEDA-4A09-A600-4878087AF675.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom