Day 19, Can I open bator to add water?

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi All,
Well, everything I read says NOT to open incubator after day 18. This is day 18,,,can I mist my eggs with a spray bottle? I was told to do this from time to time the whole time they are in incubator to help with hatching. I was told to spray eggs with spraybottle once to twice a day . I did it from time to time but not as often as I was told to.
I know they need extra water during the hatch but I'm afraid to open my incubator since it's day 19. So far, no sounds, no peeps, no pipping yet. My nose constantly on top looking in!
I "think" it's okay to open and add water before the first pipping occurs but I'm not certain so I have not yet opened it. It has water already in it but if the water evaporates I guess I will have to open and add more so the chicks can hatch.
I'm just nervous about the whole thing I guess and don't want to do anything wrong! Good gosh,,,what a stressful process! Next time, I'm ordering day old pullets!
I have my eggs in the Brower top hatch incubator,,,just the ones that are due to hatch are in that one. The others are in the Little Giant and Havoc incubators.
Any advice would be appreciated! Julie:lol:

I would tend to just add water to the trays for humidity. Too much water on the shells will plug the pores and not allow enough air to permeate the shell.

Hello,
I had to adjust my humidity around day 18. I did so very quickly (added a wet sock) and tried not to lift the lid very high. Adding a clean wet sock (or rolled washcloth) will keep your humidity up without having to add to your water trays if they already have water. I agree with not misting the eggs due to being porous.
I had a 100% hatch rate of 18 eggs with a little giant still air and used the wet sock method after having added water to the trays-the humidity was hard to raise as it was very dry in the environment.

Hey Yall! Thanks for the replies! Wet sock sounds like a fabulous idea! Will try it! A farmer that works at my local feed store suggested spraying the eggs daily. He says it helps them to be able to break the egg open. Maybe he is thinking more of duck eggs ,,,I don't know. He's a very kind man and says this is what he has done in the past. I won't spray any more but I think I will add the wet sock! LOL
Day 19----still no signs of hatching yet,,,,,sighhhhhhhhhhhh Oh I want my babies to hatch and do well! Will keep yall posted
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom