day 19 one pipping but had power outage

I only know that the cedar and pine chips carry mites. I have pet rats as well and used to use it for their bedding until one of them got mites that's when I read up on the bedding. It said to expose the chips to freezing conditions to kill the mites before using. since it they sat in the shed all winter u thought them safe to use for my chickens until my chickens started having respitort problems and found out it was caused from the dust. I use hay for my outside flock now but didnt want any in the house for the growing babies. I hadn't thought about the newspaper till I saw them slipping on it. that's when I replaced it. As for what kind of chicks they are I'm not 100% sure. I bought a variety of eggs for 5 dollars from a guy a town over that I usually buy chickens from. he has so many different breeds. I have discovered the one I call ducky is a bantam and the small one that was sticky is an americana. the rest I'm not really sure...
YAY! I'm so glad to hear that the chick is going to be ok! (And good to know about the newspaper! I have horses, so, we have plenty of shavings in the barn. Are there any shavings I should not use? I've never really paid attention to what kind of wood they are.)

Also - @serenity8327, please keep us updated on his/her progress! I feel so emotionally invested! What kinds of chicks are these? :love
20191023_141637.jpg

The one I braced her legs I'm still having to hand feed her and give her water. I turned some of the chick starter feed into mush to get her to eat. I started giving her save a chick a couple times a day cause it has the b12 vitamin e and selenium in it to help with her legs and also cause I believe she has a vitamin deficiency causing wry neck she wont hold it up instead she keeps it tucked to her breast. if that doesn't work then she probably has some neurological problems which I'm hoping she doesn't as she is the sweetest little thing. I have named her Split.

Attachments

• 15719397217665952040246698853356.jpg
    15719397217665952040246698853356.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 4
Selenium is good for the feet.
As for what kind of chicks they are I'm not 100% sure. I bought a variety of eggs for 5 dollars from a guy a town over that I usually buy chickens from. he has so many different breeds.
View attachment 1942734
I have absolutely the same one! With make up! In fact, I have 3 of these and their backs are the same as yours. I also bought eggs for cheap from some people, I didn't see the hens/rooster, so I have not seen the parents. Let me know if you find out what breed they are.

Attachments

• IMG_20191023_113111.jpg
    IMG_20191023_113111.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 3
I only know that the cedar and pine chips carry mites. I have pet rats as well and used to use it for their bedding until one of them got mites that's when I read up on the bedding. It said to expose the chips to freezing conditions to kill the mites before using. since it they sat in the shed all winter u thought them safe to use for my chickens until my chickens started having respitort problems and found out it was caused from the dust. I use hay for my outside flock now but didnt want any in the house for the growing babies. I hadn't thought about the newspaper till I saw them slipping on it. that's when I replaced it. As for what kind of chicks they are I'm not 100% sure. I bought a variety of eggs for 5 dollars from a guy a town over that I usually buy chickens from. he has so many different breeds. I have discovered the one I call ducky is a bantam and the small one that was sticky is an americana. the rest I'm not really sure...
View attachment 1942734

They are adorable! I sure hope your little one keeps getting stronger!

They are adorable! I sure hope your little one keeps getting stronger!
the little one didnt make it. she stopped eating and drinking and got very lethargic. so I seperated her from the others and let her pass in peace. the other 5 are still thriving and very ornery especially the one that was sticky he is the smallest and the runt but I think he picks on the others more because he is so tiny. lol

Selenium is good for the feet.

I have absolutely the same one! With make up! In fact, I have 3 of these and their backs are the same as yours. I also bought eggs for cheap from some people, I didn't see the hens/rooster, so I have not seen the parents. Let me know if you find out what breed they are.
I'm pretty sure mine is a duck wing bantam there are different kinds of duck wing bantams. What color egg did they come out of? Mine came out of a really tiny green egg.

the little one didnt make it. she stopped eating and drinking and got very lethargic. so I seperated her from the others and let her pass in peace. the other 5 are still thriving and very ornery especially the one that was sticky he is the smallest and the runt but I think he picks on the others more because he is so tiny. lol

Sorry to hear about your little one. But, it sounds like you have the other ones on a great start!

Back
Top Bottom