day 19 with external pip with less movement

chicken17

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
its day 19 and my one egg has external pip but hasn't broken membrane and has slowed down on movement and the membrane is starting to become a brown color??? could I help it need help

solomine

Songster
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Hatching serama eggs today and this is happening to two eggs of mine, except I don't hear any peeping or have any movement. They have tiny external pips (the shell bits are coming off) and I don't see any breakage of membrane. It's been at least 10 hours. Anyone have advice?

Aacre

Songster
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Western Slope, Colorado
I would make sure that there is plenty of humidity in the incubator and wait it out. It gets a little nerve wrecking whenever they take so long to hatch, but it's perfectly normal for them to make an external pip and then make very little progress over the next 24 hours. If after 24 hours, there is no progress, then I would intervene. Intervening too soon could cost the life of the chick. Often times what happens, is the chick gets to cracking, and can't do anything more because she/he's not done absorbing the needed veins or egg yolk. If you try to help it at this stage, it could bleed out or pass away soon after hatching. As long as it's beak and nasal passages are poking out to get enough oxygen, it should be okay.

Top Bottom