Day 2 - adventures in free ranging

Mikeeeeeeeeee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 20, 2007
Wetumpka
Day two:
Got home from work.
Collected two nice eggs from the nest box on the back of the coop.
Waited until 4:00 and opened the gate to the run.
Rocky the roo - Barred rock was the 1st one out and everyone else noticed the door was open and came running.
Baby the black cat ( friskiest one) came out and went into stealth mode.
Rocky flapped his wings and Baby took off for the high hills.
Sox the tuxedo cat never even attempted anything.
Daisy the poo eating beagle tried one little chase and I scolded her. She tucked her tail and went back into the garage.

The bug patrol was in full swing and all the gals went back in about dark.

I love watching them free range.

I guess the cats are under control now, and Daisy the poo eater is going to be OK.

So, I will be free ranging each afternoon that I'm home.

You are so funny!! Your flock will soon be spoiled with their faces pressed up against the fence waiting on you. Watch Daisy for a while because she will most likely try again...when you aren't looking!

Mike, I have enjoyed the story of your chickens learning about free ranging.
If you wanted to you could start increasing the amount of time they are out. For example, if you started with letting them out an hour before sunset, increase it to 2 hrs, then 3, etc.
I'm home most every day and if I'm not out there to turn mine loose by 10 AM I hear about it. Then if I do go out there, but don't turn them loose for some reason I hear very angry BAWKS! all the way back to the house.
They love free ranging. It's natural to them.
I agree with allaboutdemchicks. Keep an eye on the dog and cats until you are sure.
Good luck!

Quote:
Daisy will get a whipping if she does it again.
Or, she will get locked up when the chickens are out.

I may have to shoot her with the bb gun........LOL

Hey Claudia
frow.gif

Quote:
One question.
They are used to laying in the nest box.
Will they run back there to lay if they are out ranging?

They heard me coming this afternoon and met me at the fence.
LOL

I don't have a covered pen (it's a old dog pen that we just built a coop inside) and I have about 5 that free range everyday on their own. They fly out and stay out till I go out to feed that afternoon. My others (about 25 total) never get out. I've had a couple killed by ??? I'm assuming dogs but only found feathers so I'm not sure. Good luck with turning them loose daily, I don't have the guts yet
smile.png

Quote:
I've been lucky in that so far at least my girls all return to the coop to lay their eggs. They used to leave the flock to do it, but now for some reason the whole flock has started following them back to the coop and patiently wait outside the coop door until the hen is finished and re-joins them.
If you know about how many eggs you usually get a day and then suddenly start finding less and less eggs, you'll need to go on an easter egg hunt to look for hidden stashes.

Quote:
Free ranging does come at a cost. If you free range, sooner or later you are going to lose some. I used to worry about it alot, but my chickens are so content, I didn't have the heart to lock them up. They have been free ranging on a limited basis since they were two weeks old and it's all they know.
My dog, an irish wolfhound, has appointed herself the chickens protector and she learned how to let herself out of the yard so that she can follow the chickens and keep an eye on them. I also have two very protective roosters, so that gives me some sense of security.

Back
Top Bottom