Day 20 and a couple of pips!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the simple life, May 30, 2008.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, today is day 20 for the group in one of my bators, there are 40 in that one.I have a couple of pips so far, both orpingtons. I have 8 varieties in there. I am on day 17 in the other bator.I stop turning that one tomorrow and wait on them. I have only 12 in that one and they are Ameraucanas.
    I have been very busy putting in my vegetable gardens this week so I really didn't have any time to dwell on the eggs. But now that I see pips I can't stay away from the bator. I am in such suspense. I will not open it though, I don't want to screw anything up. Since this is my first hatch I have been really nervous about everything going well.[​IMG]
    I will keep you all posted.

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Good luck with your hatch!

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I'm usually good till day 18, then it's so hard not to just stare at the bator! I'm on day 18 today, so I'm right in between your two hatches. Good luck!

4. the simple life

2 hatched![​IMG] I have about 10 more pipping right now.
    So far we have a speckeled sussex and a buff orpington.
    They are so cute!!!! They hatched out fine and are getting around the bator.

5. the simple life

I have 12 pips now, one is pipping upside down. I have it in the egg carton and its beak is poked through a hole and its chirping and you can see its mouth open and closing upside down.I hope it can turn itself around.
    I was watching the first pip earlier and it had barely made a hairline crack in the egg.So I go outside to take pictures of my daughter and her boyfriend, its prom night, and I come back in and I have 2 chicks tumbling all over the bator!! I had only seen one pip so I was shocked to find two. I couldn't believe it happend that fast, and now the other 12 eggs have been cracked more than that for a long time. I feel so bad for my upside down chicky.

6. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    [​IMG] Keeping our fingers crossed that your upside down chick gets out okay. [​IMG] and best of luck with the rest of your hatch! [​IMG]

7. the simple life

Thank you, I have 15 pips now and one more hatched, a Golden Lakenvelder.The other one is still upside down with its beak out and it seems quieter. It is still making a little noise but not like before. I don't know if it is just getting tired or if this is a bad sign.

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I was gonna email you and find out how the hatch was going...hehe.
    I've never hatched, but I think the experts would say to leave WrongWay Corrigan...I, myself, would turn him over.

9. the simple life

Hi Spotted Crow,

[​IMG]
    I know what you mean. I was debating about it for hours, especially when it stopped moving. I kept looking at it then I saw that it was breathing even though it had stopped chirping. It had its beak through this little tiny hole. Well, I finally went to bed for a little while and when I got up a couple of hours later to check it was out, all by himself!
    [​IMG] I am so relieved. I know this is why everyone says not to interfere. It could have made it worse. I now have 15 hatched and a whole lotta pips. [​IMG]
    I am on day 18 with the other bator so I hopefully will have the other hatch this week. I am not too sure how well that other one works compared to the genesis I am hatching out of now. Let me know if the hubby will let you keep anymore ladies, [​IMG] I will have more than I will be able to keep. I wanted a few different breeds and everyone sent me extra eggs so I have a whole lotta hatching going on.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by