Day 20, best solutions to a problem -Update day 21_

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kupi99, May 18, 2009.

  1. kupi99

    kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

    202
    0
    119
    Apr 7, 2009
    I got work this morning to find none of my eggs rocking or rolling, chirping or pipping. My temp was low, scary low, like 97. Yesterday was unseasonably cool, so the bator was prob cool then too. Humidity wasn't great, at around 50, so I've added water to get it back up to 65 (unforunately I only have acces to cool water).

    My question is what's the best way to get the temps up in my LG? Each way to raise the temp seems to come with some side effect that will mess up the hatch. Here are the methods I've heard of so far:

    1. Adjusting the knob: This come with the very dangerous side effect of the deadly temp spike that will sneak up hours after you move it.
    2. Blanketing the bator: This comes with the side effect of blocking the vents, making it difficult for the bator to regulate itself. I presently have a baby blanket taped around the sides of the bator, keeping it as best I can away from the sides/vents. This method also has mixed results for me.
    3. Book over the plastic window: This would seem to have the same side effect as the blanket- blocking the air flow. I'm trying this one now to raise the temp this morning, and it does appear to be slowly rising, its now at 98.2 (about an hour after i put it on there).

    Is there another way to get it up? What is the worse risk, temp spike (bear in mind the temp spike might happen overnight when I wouldn't be here to monitor it) or air flow? Should I give in, and bump the knob at this point? Is there another way to raise the temp without a pit fall, or one that's not as bad? Thanks!

    Also, is it reasonable to hope for a hatch at this point? Or have my temp probs been to bad? Can't candle and see, as we're at day 20.
     
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. jbowen9

    jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

    289
    5
    120
    Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    I wouldnt risk it right now on day 20 with a little low temp you may just have to wait a extra day or two for them to hatch but if you can raise it by the books or air holes i would do that first then just wait it out
     
  3. Marlinchaser

    Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

    4,943
    10
    231
    Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    dont mess with the knob, if temp is low it can only try to catch up at a certain rate. its like thermostat in house putting it on 80 doesnt make the house temp come up any quicker.

    Low temps dont have as bad of an effect as high temps, may slow down hatch rate,(unless really low for long times)

    Cold water? No microwave to heat the water,

    you can wrap the incubator as long as you do not cover the vents.

    I dont think a book over the window would do much, there shouldnt be air coming through there anyway, but if it makes you feel better cover the windows too.
     
  4. kupi99

    kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

    202
    0
    119
    Apr 7, 2009
    Quote:Yes, that's the issue. I've low temps throughout this hatch, this is hardly the first one. And my thermo showed a bad temp spike overnight once or twice early in the hatch (my thermo has a memory gage). So that is why I am worried. I've candled before, and the eggs showed devolpement and life, so I've kept going. So that's why I'm worried about this low temp too. It's hardly the first time.
    It's already been running low for two hours this morning, not counting the time I wasn't here.

    Haven't touched the knob. Temps are fluxing, book finally got it up to 99.9 and rising, so I quickly took it off, and now they are back down, but appear to be slowly rising. I don't know what to do at this point. Keep trying to fix it, give up, let it do its thing......[​IMG]
     
  5. william9792

    william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

    796
    1
    131
    Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    what i do with mine at this point is just let it go and see what the out come will be, and next time try to find a more stable place as far as temps to place my bator. one way is to place the bator in a big box. william
     
  6. kupi99

    kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

    202
    0
    119
    Apr 7, 2009
    ANy more thoughts? Bator is still running low, humiidty is dropped too, but I'm waiting to fix till I get a break and can heat up the water.
     
  7. kupi99

    kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

    202
    0
    119
    Apr 7, 2009
    day 21, and still no change. Any know if there's anything I can do at this point to try and get a late hatch? Or just leave it. Still being plagued by low temp issues, and humidity issues. Came in this morning to humidty at 43%. I opted to up it and risk opening the window on the bator to do so. I'm thinking of risking it again, and adding a sponge to help it hold the humidity. When I set the eggs in there, the humidty was too high (above 75) with a sponge.

    Any bright ideas? I'm planning on waiting it out, just in case they're late, but not holding out much hope, as they eggs are as still and quiet as the grave right now. No pips either.[​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by