Day 20: Cracked egg

Congrats on your hatched chick :celebrate

When the chicks hatch because they are wet it causes a humidity spike and is quite normal and nothing to worry about. I've had mine reach 90% plus before but as they start to dry off and fluff up the humidity will go back down.

From the external pip they make they can some times take up to 24 hours before hatching. Each chick is individual and no two the same. My last hatch I had the first pip in an egg, no action. The second egg to pip hatched before the first pipper. One went 23 hours before hatching and another piped zipped and hatched in less than 6 hours. There is no rhyme and reason with them.

Your hatched chicks should encourage the others. Try not to panic :hugs My day is just starting here 6.30 am so will be on for next few hours if you have any questions. Try to get some sleep, I know that is easier said than done :hugs

Congrats on your hatched chick
celebrate.gif

When the chicks hatch because they are wet it causes a humidity spike and is quite normal and nothing to worry about. I've had mine reach 90% plus before but as they start to dry off and fluff up the humidity will go back down.

From the external pip they make they can some times take up to 24 hours before hatching. Each chick is individual and no two the same. My last hatch I had the first pip in an egg, no action. The second egg to pip hatched before the first pipper. One went 23 hours before hatching and another piped zipped and hatched in less than 6 hours. There is no rhyme and reason with them.

Your hatched chicks should encourage the others. Try not to panic
hugs.gif
My day is just starting here 6.30 am so will be on for next few hours if you have any questions. Try to get some sleep, I know that is easier said than done
hugs.gif
X2

Sounds like you are having a fairly normal hatch.

And a fairly normal response to a first hatch!
wink.png
I stressed big time over what was happening during the day and a half to two days my first batch of eggs hatched. I am only now learning to just ride it out. They're probably doing better than I think they are. I still worry every time I see one pip and then nothing for hours on end.
hmm.png
But most times they turn out just fine.
cool.png

Hello thought I'd ask if my eggs would hatch too. It's still a day before lockdown and the two that were going to hatch seem to have been caught against eachother and broken. One is broken all down the side and I can see the back of the chick not sure if it's alive but there's no blood. The other is really dented in on the large end but still moving and not leaking. The shells are really fragile not sure what made them so easy to break. They look really bad and I don't hear any peeping but I took the rollers out and put a wet sponge in to get more humidity. Any advice would be much appreciated sorry my pic is bad but I didn't want to mess with them further until I knew what to do

I would just keep an eye on things. sometimes when the egg gets badly dented, like in the pic, the chick can't break out. The only thing I can suggest, is if you see signs of life, and nothing happening 24 hours later, you may need to open a pip in the air cell, but you've got to be absolutely sure you're in the air cell, then watch and see. check out Sally Sunshine's profile, hatching 101 re: assisted hatch.

I did assist the other chick it was drying on it's back but when I moved it out it seemed way too early to hatch. It was already mostly opened and the membrane was torn down the back and glued it into the egg. but the chick was facing the wrong way at the pointy end. The other one seems to have lost the shell over the air sack and the side but the inner skin of the egg is still there. I don't think this one is ready either. I felt it move this morning when I pulled them out but I'm not sure anymore. Should I try to tape it back together ?

Back
Top Bottom