Day 20; powers out and losing heat

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
The power has been out for 2+ hours and might not be back today. For the first while the incubator had a battery charge but now that’s gone too.
I moved the incubator into the living area where we have a gas heater going. I’ve also piled it with blankets and am just trying to keep it as warm as possible now.
What else can I do to save this hatch?

Hot hands inside the incubator may help some.. but yo will also loose her to open it. Thats a risk.. also a heated water bottle may help... keeping it covered also..

Edited that got love spel check..

Thank you, not sure how much I want to risk. For now the lid stays closed.

Hour #4 without power; I’m switching through blankets, warming them around the heater before putting them on the nurture right incubator. I heated some distilled water and put that on in the water spout. The clear sides of the incubator is foggy and near cool to the touch.
Room temp is at about 75 f. No clue what the temp or humidity inside the incubator may be.

:fl hopefully your power comes back on soon.. keep it as warm as possible for now. They may take an extra day to hatch bit hopefully be ok..

i am assuming there no generator available, I had a hen leave two eggs, they were alive still no incubator at the time I put them in a Styrofoam cooler with a heat lamp..

No, car ports aren’t accessible.
To make matters worse guess what came in today? Our shipment of chicks has arrived but the brooder is cool.

We have started heating plates, they stay hot for a long while and are quick to heat. I have one on top of the incubator between two blankets. So far that’s working well, it keeps heat for a long time and the incubator no longer feels so cool.

I believe I can prop one up to act as a heating plate for the new chicks too so long as it’s high enough off the ground and not too hot to touch.

No, car ports aren’t accessible.
To make matters worse guess what came in today? Our shipment of chicks has arrived but the brooder is cool.

We have started heating plates, they stay hot for a long while and are quick to heat. I have one on top of the incubator between two blankets. So far that’s working well, it keeps heat for a long time and the incubator no longer feels so cool.

I believe I can prop one up to act as a heating plate for the new chicks too so long as it’s high enough off the ground and not too hot to touch.
You could wrap the plate in a towel for the chicks so it isn't to hot for them.

Back
Top Bottom